CO2 Questions

johnsmith

I've set up my CO2 system with a 3.78 l jug, and a 500 ml separator so the residue doesn't clog up the bubble ladder.

So, how long should I have to wait to see bubbles? I assume it will be a while since the 500ml separator will have to fill up first, right?

I also have a lot of tubbing b/c I didn't want to cut the tubing that came with the bubble ladder yet, just in case.

from here.

Edited by johnsmith

Since it relies on pressure to move the gas down the tubing you might be in for a bit of a wait. With the Hagen ladder's bottle I was able to get some bubbles within 12 hours and full production within 48. I am not 100% sure but I wouldn't be surprised if you had to wait a few days at least to get any decent bubbles since it has to pressurize both the yeast bottle and the holding bottle. I will say that in two months of running yeast I didn't have any gunk come out of the tubing onto the ladder. I switched to a pressure system for the ease of ensuring a constant CO2 flow.

Okay, this is annoying. How can I be getting this wrong? Sugar + Water + activated yeast, it doesn't seem that complicated.

I activate the yeast b/f putting it in the pop bottle by mixing 1/4 tsp of yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water, mix vigorously until the lumps are gone, then add a pinch of sugar and mix again. Then I let it stand for ~ 10min and add it to the pop bottle filled with water and sugar.

I'm running out of sugar and patience. I'm one day away from just buying the unit from the store and spending twice as much as I had to - as I suspected would happen if I tried diy :bang1:

IS your house cold? When i first set up by DIY bottles i noticed that in the winter the bottles barely worked. My tanks are in the basement and it was getting too cold for the yeast to really produce(this is a finished basement so its not even that much colder). I put my bottle onto of my tanks lights and the bottles started working again. The lights warm them up a little bit and i guess its enough to increase production. I"ve also tried putting the bottles in a bucket with water and a heater. That worked well too.

Just a thought, since i can't see why your yeast/sugar wouldn't be working.

ps: my bottle start producing bubbles after about 30mins after being set up.

The second time I tried it I did use a 2L bottle w/o the extra "residue" collector - still nothing.

My house is pretty cold, unfortunately I don't have an extra heater and it's only a 10g so I couldn't balance the bottle on the lights.

The reactor at the store said it was thermo-somethingorother so maybe it's insulated and can keep the water at a warmer temperature? I guess I'll be making that trip afterall.

Thanks for the help.

You know, I like my Hagen reactor. :)

I can't remember if it came with the little device to hang it on the side of the tank, or if I stole it from an old powerhead. But, it's made so that it'll sit in one of the AC Powerhead hangers.

It sits right against the tank at the top, so it stays warm. It's also closer to the CO2 output in the tank, so it doesn't have to pressure up too much to get bubbles.

Just don't waste your money on the Hagen yeast and NaCO3. You don't really need NaCO3, and you can get yeast WAY cheaper that the grocery store.

I can't remember if it came with the little device to hang it on the side of the tank,

Yes it comes with a clip to attach it to the tank.

But i agree with Jason, don't keep buying the packets of hagen yeast and stabilizer. I used it with regular yeast and it works great and it way cheaper.

Where do you store the C02 reator as opposed to the position of the tank.

Example. Is the C02 far below the highest point of the tank, where the tubing line enters the water ?

Garhan

Originally I had it on the floor under the tank, but then I put it on a filing cabinet right next to the tank. When I tried the second time with the 2L bottle it was right next to the tank the whole time. I was going to cut the tubing a little shorter but there really wasn't much extra.

Okay, this is annoying.  How can I be getting this wrong?  Sugar + Water + activated yeast, it doesn't seem that complicated.

I activate the yeast b/f putting it in the pop bottle by mixing 1/4 tsp of yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water, mix vigorously until the lumps are gone, then add a pinch of sugar and mix again.  Then I let it stand for ~ 10min and add it to the pop bottle filled with water and sugar. 

I'm running out of sugar and patience.  I'm one day away from just buying the unit from the store and spending twice as much as I had to - as I suspected would happen if I tried diy  :bang1:

No need for activation. Add 2 cups of sugar to a two liter bottle. Then take a thermometer and bring your tap water to about 27C, and fill the bottle. Shake the bottle to dissolve the sugar. Add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (you may need to experiment) of brewers yeast, and shake again (not much). Hook it up to the reactor and wait for a half an hour ... :rolleyes: and there they come B)

Edited by Milan

I 2nd Milan. There is no need to activate. I don't even measure the temperature. As long as it is not too hot that kills off the yeast. Sooner or later, as in within a couple of hours, it should start working.

I will check for leakage or blockage. Try squeeze the bottle a little to see if any bubble come out at the other end.