Mantis shrimp

rudy

I just had to move him out of the glass tank and into a 12 gallon eclipse. He was destined to break the glass. Every morning he will pound it a bit I think just to get someones attention. Got a bit scary as my wife said it was only a matter of time before he broke through.

If you are getting a peacock mantis, save yourself the worries and pick up an eclipse.

I definatley wouldn't. You know those long plastic algae scrapers. My little buddy inialated one the other day. They hit hard.

Probably wouldn't break the glass, but sleep is better than worring about it.

• 3 months later...

Here is a video of my g. smithii feeding:

http://www.truenorthreef.com/mantis.wmv

I love peacocks but my tank is too small. Most people that I spoke to recommended a 20gal. They hit incredibly hard - for their size. But as long as your glass is not real thin, and your mantis is small, you will be fine with a glass tank. I have only read of a couple documented cases where a stomatopod has actually broken glass and I think they were over 8" in length. JME

- Chad

Thanks! It depends, most LFSs should be able to get in a peacock, but I had a real hard time locating a smaller smasher. I posted on bulletin boards and emailed all kinds of online venders. The only one that could gaurantee a g. smithii was a store in the States that said my costs to import it would be $100US. Fortunately, after a couple months, AndyL spotted this one in a shipment of LR and held it for me. Bless his heart.

- Chad