Ruby Red Peacocks

wandj

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While it's obvious that in this case the fish aren't 'wild caught' (as no such species exists in the wild) it's also a bit late for wandj to begin negotiations on a lower price. Live & learn I guess .....

Hopefully this strain will be far better than anything currently being bred in the Edmonton area, and she can sleep better at night knowng that she's helped improve a local strain of fish. :beer:

it's also a bit late for wandj to begin negotiations on a lower price. Live & learn I guess .....

Not too late to return them and state that you won't be shopping there again.... :beer:

I guess that would depend on the stores return policy, if they even have one, and if wandj feels the need to return them.

I think that with the info supplied thus far it's a bit unfair to blame the store that brought them in for wandj, without knowing what Riverfront charged them for the fish.

Oh...I thought she bought them straight from Riverfront, and someone was just picking them up for her while shopping for their store.

Regardless....nutso price. Don't care who says different either.

Regardless....nutso price. Don't care who says different either.

Might seem nutso but 50$+ is what Big al's sells their adult african for. So since she was buying from a edmonton store that price is the norm.

But this thread isn't about the price, its about the fish. So lets get back on track.

Unless the wonderful internet has lied to me, (that's impossible!), Ruby Reds are "line bred". Their line-bred origin is "Aulonocara sp. Stuartgranti Chipoka". The fish is line bred back to get more and more red. They were later called Aulonocara "Rubescens", which was renamed "Ruby Red" to make it sound more American over German.

Ya, I missed some small details, but that's the gist of it. So these fish are not wild caught anyway.

You can all jump in here if I am mistaken because I am a big African Newbie still.

:D

Wow, there have been a few posts posted since the one I saw from dunl. I'd better type faster.

Just a comment about price. If I did way over pay, there's nothing I can do about it and honestly, it is shrinking my bubble of excitement over these fish. I am the type of "shopper" that if I want something bad enough, like the Jurassic Park old man said, "spare no expense".

I wanted these fish to try, and that is why I didn't even ask their price. Somehow, I knew they would be much higher than the LFS $11.88 price on their regular Red Peacocks. So I am a little disheartened to feel like I got a little soaked, but I am going to focus on getting the females in good shape and conditioned and hopefully the males will turn out to be great quality. (Damn, wish I had a digi cam)

This was a Christmas present to myself. :thumbs:

Thank you everyone and please don't hesitate to give me some advice. I want these fish to get the best care, and maybe some day some of their fry can be swimming in your tanks. ;)

Ok, I just called Riverfront. I asked Wayne if he had any info on these fish.

This is what he told me:

They are from a "local breeder".

They still have some growing to do.

They will color up more as they mature.

(And no, I did not ask him how much he paid)

There, so if anyone knows any breeders around Calgary, it is possible I have some of his/her stock.

Oh, I love a mystery! ^_^

Edited by wandj

This is my dominant ruby red (amelogenic variety) male. Thus far, I've been feeding him poor quality food so he's not very red and rather orange. I'll be feeding him NLS soon and I'm curious to find out if there will a big difference in color.

Overall, ruby reds are very easy to take care off. I've been keeping them for years and I find that they don't fair very well in a cichlid community tank. They usually get bullied.

post-6-1134965771_thumb.jpg

"so its pretty much just the albino veritey that keep the black eyes"

Thats exactly it in terms of what they look like. Amelogenic = non melanin producing. Look at the female ruby red in the background. Just like in true albinos, no blue colors are present. Where there would normally be blue, you see an irridescent white. This variety of ruby red has an almost all red head with blue striations on the cheeks.