Crayfish eggs

fatpuffer

I have a regular brown crayfish from Petland. She is in "berry" right now. How do you know if these eggs are viable? Most are black with a couple of whitish orange that I can see. This is her third week this weekend.

Are those eggs fertilized?

Thanks.

Js

BTW what is the scientific name for the regular brown crayfish commonly sold as feeders at Riverfront?

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Crayfish hatched!

Here are some crappy pix!

DSCN18040001Cray1.jpg

RSCN1807.jpg

There are a ton of crays still hanging in mom's swimmeretts (sp?)...only about 5-10 percent are free swimming.

Js

BTW...the ones that were orange were unfertilized yet did not grow fungus. The rest were half black half greyish a couple of days before hatching or forming to miniature crays.

Edited by fatpuffer

Well it is only a 25 gallon with lots of hiding spaces. Just make sure that the crays have enough holes and caves to hide in. I used terracota pots and pvc pipes. I have three crays in there...one bluish and two normals ones.

I noticed the female cleaning out a cave of debris and gravel. One week later she was full of eggs. Hid most of the times and ate very little. This tank was in a 4th grade class room. I was surprised she did not eat her eggs from stress (lots of children and noise). A handful of the eggs turned orange (unfertilized) and the rest stayed black and turned greyish black. It took 5-6 weeks before they hatched due to the lower temp...no heater in tank.

6th week, i separated the female. I can see tails and legs of babies. I bought a rubbermaid storage bid that can be stored under the bed (6 inch tall by 1.5 feet wide and 2 feet long). I placed a filter with stockings to cover the intake.

Waited another week for babies to leave mom and now mom is back in the tank and there are literally hundreds of babies from 5-10mm long.

I use some of the smaller babies for my dwarf puffers...they loved it! the rest is still under the couch in the bin with filter.

Anymore question...just post!

Jonah

P.S. make sure males and females are similar in size or the male might kill the female.

They like cooler temps...I have mine around 22-24 celsius. Mine bred after a water change and lots of feeding.

Edited by fatpuffer