Manits Shrimp removal

Sammy

Howdy all,

Last week I took the plunge into saltwater and have had no problems with anything untill the last couple nights, not long after the lights go out I hear snapping/clicking going on. I suspect it was a mantis shrimp but could not see him and today I noticed 1 of the 2 blue legged hermit crabs was missing and I seen what I thought to be the remains of the hermit just moments ago. Now I under stand that this may be the hermit crab molting but dont want to take any chances. So I need some advice on how to remove or trap this little bugger if in fact thats what I have. I tried looking for a him lastnight after dark but had no luck. No LFS seems to carry a trap for these crtitters and I do not wish to keep a mantis at this point. LOL. Any tips/tricks to remove him would be greatly appricated. I also dont want to disturb the tank and have to move any LR.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I would like him if you do get him, but the best suggestion I have seen so far is to remove the rock, and place it in fresh water...he should come sprinting out of there.....

You can also try squirting carbonated water into the live rock, but not too much....

These methods work if you know where he is.

If not, inverted bottle fish trap, with a piece of shrimp inside....

Edited by dunl

Thanks for the tips. I still havent seen the mantis or the hermit crab. :)

I found a simple design for a trap here.

DIY trap

The pop bottle trap would do the same sorta thing however I dont have alot of room for even a small soda bottle/plastic bottle. mY present tank is only 20gals.

Thanks again,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

I havent caught or seen a mantis in the tank yet. I have seen what looked like a little .5cm moult from one floating around in the tank a few times. I still hear a snapping/clicking sound every so often thats different from the hermits shells hitting the glass.

SAmmy