Geo Systems

snaggle

I am getting back in to freshwater after years in saltwater B) I am looking at getting a Geo System.

geo system

I want to do the South America group 3

South America

I was looking at the stocking it seems kind of high to me :o . I like the idea of having a school of fish like that but will it be too much?

Brad

Holy shinto, a 58 gallon with 80 fish?!

I know cardinal tetras are usually a little under 2 inches (1 and 3/4) but that does seem like a lot to me. I know a lot of people "overstock and overfilter" but I don't know, I think it may be a bit much.

What stands out most to me though, is the 4 medium/large Discus. I think they get as big as 8 inches, and are really really delicate when it comes to water. And with that many inhabitants, I think you'd have to do twice daily water changes to keep them healthy.

I am pretty new into the fish world, about a month and a half, but I always do a lot of endless research :-)

I'm sure someone with more experience will have some comments.

-Hideo

Now I could be wrong, but I believe if you actually get the hagen geo-systems book, it's broken down into options... ie - pick the discus or the 60 cardinals (not both). 4 discus and 60 cardinals would be very cramped.

However the 4 discus alone are not a particularly good choice, as discus should be kept in pairs or as groups of 6.

Of course, stocking is one of those funny things, it's all about the system as a whole and the inhabitants chosen over the total number or "inches" of fish. Going by the "rules" my 6" cube should have crashed long ago (it's saltwater no less) - but with proper planning and choices of residents (a eviota goby, a porcelain crab, along with a hermit and ?? snail... Nevermind the various hitchhikers and corals) it is probably my most stable and easiest to care for system.

Andy

Jay - Just for you - I'll cleanup the fishroom so you can have a look.

I'll warn ya in advance, the 6" aint looking great this week... Some eeeediot did a lighting upgrade a couple weeks back, and poorly executed acclimatizing to the doubling of light... Some of the corals are still bleached, but they're slowly recovering.

Andy

The Geo Systems sound like a good deal until you actually start looking around. I bought the Geo System 120 for alot more money than I should have had to spend. Look in the Edmonton/Calgary Buy Sell or just look at what's being sold by people on the forums here. For the amount you pay for a Geo System you can get a much larger setup by picking your own parts from people selling used. I just got a 75 gallon with stand, lights and filter for $300 on Buy Sell. A Geo System tank that size would cost a fortune. Just make sure you clean out any used tanks so you don't import diseases and you are fine.

I was looking at the prices in Newmarket today it was $900 :guns: for the basic set up. I think I am just going to look to buy the tank used, I have an old 4' pc Light. I just need to get the rest of the stuff :wacko: .

Brad

Pisces has good deals on tanks, Geosystem included. I myself was looking at the 58 gallon setup just because it was a combo with the stand included. They had it for half of what Petland/Big chain sell it for. Quite literally. I think Petland had it for $959 or something ludicrous, and Pisces had it for $499 or $599 something like that. Definately not a bad deal, considering the price of a 55 gallon long tank at a decent LFS will be around $250 (got my all glass at pisces for $250) but it doesn't include the stand. Now, a comparable stand for that size tank is actually going to end up bringing the total cost to more than the Geosystem cost. Unless you're happy with a metal stand (which I wasn't), you're actually better off getting the Geosystem setup at Pisces. Now that I reflect, I wish I had in a way, though the stand I got from Walmart, came with another 55 gallon long tank. The stand is quite decent, and the extra tank, well, that's just gravy.

If I wasn't afraid of metal stands (due to my rambuncious dogs bumping into it and making it slide on my floor) I would have considered it.

If you trust Walmart, maybe even go check it out, they might still have some of the combo I'm talking about. The stand comes fully assembled, so you'd need a truck or a van, though we fit it in our Protege 5, just couldn't use the rear view. $250 for tank and stand, including canopy and lights isn't terrible. I just don't know if I would trust the tank myself, though I doubt they would sell something that's going to burst open or anything, I'm on the paranoid side.

-Hideo

I'm with most people here - put your own kit together. These kits are OK... but, after looking at what's included, I'd say the chemical aspect of what is included aren't that great.

I like their recommendations for planting. Most companies don't recommend nearly enough to get started. I would add about 20 stem plants, as these will help keep everything steady as the tank breaks in - when you FULLY (I mean, next to no gravel showing) plant a tank at the start, you will never have to worry about cylcling a tank.

I agree, the stocking limits are a bit high, but I kept a similar fish load (about 5 less fish) in a 55 with no problems.

For the same price, tho, I'd skip the kit and go with something used. Use the money saved to get enough plants to pack the tank - use different plants for different parts of the tank (short plants up front, tall plants in back) so the fish can swim - and get the fish that you want. Getting a pressurized CO2 system would be a VERY good idea, as well.

The main things to rember with planted tanks is start off with LOTS of plants - you can cut back when things get established. Also, HAPPY PLANTS = HAPPY FISH.

Sorry for the long post - slow day at work. :rolleyes:

The problem with "all inclusive" Geo-System is that you are dependant on plants/fish stock of a local fish store. They give you whatever they decide to, matching the Hagen's specs. Is it in a good shape or not, they don't care ...

??? You are actually buying one of those fish 'sets' when you buy the tank/stand/equipment set? If so, that is remarkably stupid....otherwise, I like the dry goods kit.

Come to think of it... that's where I got all my stock for the 55 gal! I picked up a sweet deal on the 29 gal Geo at a trade show last year. $400 and I brought home 4 discus, 60+ Cardinals, 5 Bolivian Rams, quite a few HEALTHY (It's hard to believe coming from this LFS) plants, plus the Geo tank stuff.

I've sold off much of the fish that I got, and have probably broken even. Still have the tank, stand, etc!