Screw in CFs

Vallisneria

Ah.. that's the sale price! :lol: ok... ya... had to work at 7am and apparently sleep deprivation makes me a moron.

Vall apparently is better at math and now I see that 1+1 does indeed make 2. Thanks for slapping me upside the head. I needed that.

Ok... so was it a one-day sale? Or do I have time to scoop some of those 23 watters... I'll toss 8 of them over my 50 in a heartbeat for that price.

Ok... so was it a one-day sale? Or do I have time to scoop some of those 23 watters... I'll toss 8 of them over my 50 in a heartbeat for that price.

The sale is one day, but the regular price of the 23W ones is 2/$12.98 (they were not on sale for Jan 1 at all, only the 15W size was), so you have all the time in the world.....at least here in Calgary (I was in checking prices on Saturday).

Thanks for clearing that one up... my IQ just peeked back over 80 now... let's hope it stays there for the night :blush:

I'm going to go back to HD up here tomorrow and ask someone why they are so expensive... can't tell me that shipping that box of bulbs an extra 300 kms is worth doubling the price.

On a better note, I also saw the price of the Daylight Deluxe 4' 40W T12 bulbs were 2 for $4.98... Rona next door (and where I bought mine and thought I got a 'great deal') was just a shade under $6... each. Go figure.

What kind of fixtures are you all putting these bulbs into? I have a ten gallon tank that I would like to set up but don't want to spend a fortune on lighting. This would be a nice alternative to having to order new lighting for a small plant tank.

They screw into the regular, cheap incandescent fixtures! I've even seen specs online to make your own fixture out of eavestroughing - on the cheap, too!! Try The Krib...

If you go to Wahlmart you can get the warm white or cool white (what I bought) CF bulbs and they are 23 watt, equivalant they say to 100 watt normal bulb and are 4 for 13.98 and they have the smaller diameter base so I screwed 2 into a 20 gal incandescent canopy. The reason I chose the cool white is on the box they said it was more like daylight. All I can say is that the 20 gal canopy sure lights up half of my 55 gal. planted.

Below is a picture of one of my 10 gallon tanks, this one just a simple Endler breeder, the left half is a picture with 2x13W Globe brand (Wal Mart) soft white bulbs on the tank, the right portion is with 2x15 Philips Daylight bulbs... makes a good comparison.

The ones I got at WalMart were the Globe Brand as well but they were the cool white 23 watt type they definately light more like your example on the right. I will get a picture of what it does in my 55 planted tank.

Edited by HOSStile