I GOT EGGS!!!!!

Golfnut

Hi,

I have 3 hybrid parrots.  They have rearranged gravel in the entire tank, but were paying special attention to a large flat rock and rubbing against it.

Is this breeding behavior?

One also has something stickout of it's butt, but it's not poop (maybe not its butt?).

But anyone know if that is how they lay eggs?

Thanks!

Andrew

I just got home and there are eggs on the rock now???

What do I do?

THANKS!

Post pics in a little while...

Andrew

Edited by Golfnut

The species used to be entirely sterile, however there are many now that will and can breed.

One also has something stickout of it's butt, but it's not poop (maybe not its butt?).
This would be the female and it is called an egg chute.

The female will lay eggs in her nest and the male will fertilize them. If they turn white that means they are infertile and she will eat them. If they stay yellow then you will most likely have fry. If they don't eat them that is.

Do I need to remove the parents? Or do I move the eggs?

Their tank mates? I have a yoyo and frontosa and another parrot...???

Here is some info...

http://www.geocities.com/parrotcichlid/breeding.html

THANKS!

Andrew

Edited by Golfnut

years ago i had a corner 45 gallon with assorted tangs in it. i lucked out and had two breeding pairs ; one pair on juli's and one pair of neolamps. I remember I called J-roc when we first discovered the little swimming fry and were like proud parents (bonified fish geek). I had some nice pieces of holey rock and i still swear by it for breeding.

Both species continued to breed for months and months until there unfortunate demise in a moving accident (was heartbroken).

Anyways, point of the story is just enjoy the spectacle and let nature takes its course. Not familiar with parrots but a pretty good guess is that if you come out with fry you won't be able to retire on selling them.

HB

Well after the initial exitement, I have come back to the floor.

I moved all the tank mates out and now it's just the parents. We'll see if they hatch or not and if so, guess I'll have to learn how to hatch brine shrimp.

:beer:

Cheers,

Andrew