Keeping Shrimp cin community tank

rbvander

Hey all

I'm new here and I have to say this is a darn nice site!

I was just wondering what people thought of keeping fresh water shrimp in a community tank... my big concern is my clown loaches. I thought about a blue lobster(crayfish) for a bit, but I don't think that will work with my clowns and weather loaches?

Any thoughts?

Thanks! :well:

If the shrimp are big and the loaches are small, you may have a chance at eternal bliss. However, if it's the other way around, your loaches will have a nice snack :drool:

I haven't an any luck keeping shrimp in my community tanks. I got it to work once in a heavily planted 15g with a pair of rams and cardinals but in any of my other tanks they seemed to get eaten(even if the fish didn't look big enough to eat them).

If you have clown loaches then it probably won't work out. You can always get a couple really cheap ghost shrimp and test it out before spending the money on fancier species.

Crays are hard to judge. You might get a cray that lives great in a community tank. Or you might have one that loves to hunt and could possibly kill even your loaches.

-Hideo

I have kept Amano shrimp in my community for many months, now... and with my selection of community fish they are doing very well. Rasboras, Swords and Corys all leave them alone and coexist nicely. I have a single Amano in my Endler tank and he does very well in there, as well, but he's bigger than any single fish, as well.

As for crays the only fish I keep with mine are in there specifically to be eaten... I have heard tho that they do like to be the kings of the tank bottom, and other bottom dwellers are not always welcome. They may view them either as sport, or as competition for food... and either way "lunch".

And just in case you think of doing 'both' shrimp and a cray, be warned... shrimp apparently carry a disease or virus of some kind that crays can get sick or die from. i am not too sure on the specifics, but I have seen enough warnings on the various cray sites to listen to the general advice.

I've heard that as well. But oddly enough, it seems to be good to feed them shrimp pellets.

Probably because the shrimp is cooked in the pellets.

I bet it's similar to how you cannot eat freshwater fish in sushi or sashimi form, only saltwater. With freshwater fish, there is a parasite that exists and is only killed by cooking. This parasite can be extremely harmful to humans. This is actually the #1 reason why Sushi restaurants were all but shut down when they first came to North America. Some idiots who thought they could ride the bandwagon, and by idiots, I mean non-japanese people who knew nothing about it, served up many freshwater fish, which in turn made a lot of people, very very sick. This caused the age of sushi and sashimi to be delayed for quite a while. This ALSO started a huge rumour that wasabi served with sushi and sashimi was to "kill" the parasites in the raw fish. Which is so stupid I can't even imagine how people believed it, but of course people thought, and still do think that. When in actuality, it's 100% for flavour.

But anyways, sorry for running off on that tangent.

I originally meant to simply make a comparison, but thought, "Hey maybe not everyone knows this..." and there I went.

Maybe it's something like that? Perhaps there is a parasite in shrimp, that is harmful to a cray when raw?

-Hideo