Moderator's Public M-Box

Milan

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

Our March "Tank of the Month" contest is coming to a closure in a few days. However, there have not been any updates nor any new participants since last month, so I'm thinking about suspending the contest, until we have sufficient participation. Obviously, monthly turnover does not cut it. On the other hand, planted tanks can go through significant changes in few weeks, so in my mind it would not be appropriate to have a "winner tank" sitting there for a long time, as it does not reflect reality.

Tell me what you think ... I'm open for suggestions. :well:

• 7 months later...

Have you considered just featuring tank of the month based on different things i.e. unique shape, size, decor, etc. and give the membership a chance to show what they have acomplished, I know that when I was just a kid I wasproud of my little 20g tank with wild minnows, crayfish, and Sticklebacks.

Well, depending on the number of people visiting the board at any given time, a monthly contest may be too often. Perhaps you could host the contest on a quarterly basis?

I also agree with Sam, themes would be a good idea too. This way, the guy with the little 10g who still did a great job won't feel put off if the guy with the 120g who also did a great job beats him out because the 120g is bigger and "more impressive" due to size. Another board I visit has themed contests...the latest one was about how the tank fits in with the home decor. You could do best small tank, best large tank, best planted, best non-planted, best community, best species, best biotope...there are lots of possibilities.

Edited by Shai

Milan had some good ideas; unfortunately, he wasn't able to stick around to see them out very long. I've been thinking about resurecting the planted tank feature again...

I like the idea of having different criterion for each contest, and I agree that a monthly contest is just too often.

Give me some time to put something simple together. In the mean time, more suggestions are welcome.

Milan's planted tank contest was 6 months or more and it still didn't get very much participation.

Probably because asking people on the internet to endure 6 months for a contest is a ridiculously long time.

Start a contest every quarter, but leave it open for entries for only the first month of the quarter. At the end of the month, close the entries and open the voting. Voting can be open for a couple of weeks or more, whatever sounds good, but probably not longer than four weeks. The results get announced after voting ends. Announce the topic of the the next contest that will start at the beginning of the next quarter. Whatever time is left inbetween is "off" or "down" time where people can work on their tanks or otherwise consider how or if they can enter as well as allow time to get that "perfect" pic.

Edited by Shai

That's a good possibility, it could posted as a survey for each contest.