ethical breeding?

cichlidkid

ethical or not could this be a way to breed hybryds?

have 2 pairs of fish (lets say a jack and festea) take the un fertilized eggs from one pair and carefully put them with the other pairs egs while they arnt looking then the male fertilizes all the eggs (even the non his ones)

just so you know I am anti flowerhorn/blood parrot but I think a conbination of festae and smaller cichlid (mabey pink convict becuase they breed like crazy) maay be nice in my tank. all others would be destroyed

Ah screw what people here say abotu hi breds. The best dogs in the world have been hienze so it must be the same with fish. Think about it. People buy and breed red and blue guppies all the time what would the difference be between breeding a red zebra and a different one. So what. If you want to do it do as nike says "just do it". I mean pures arw a nicer fish but hey. No offence to all the people who strive for only pures.

Ryan :ml:

The best dogs in the world have been hienze so it must be the same with fish. Think about it. People buy and breed red and blue guppies all the time what would the difference be between breeding a red zebra and a different one.

The difference is that those fish are different species. Breeding a red guppy and a blue guppy is accepted because they are both guppies, just different color variations. The same is for dogs. All dogs are the same species. But if you breed a jack and a festae then you are breeding 2 different species together that shouldnt' be mixed. It would be like saying its ok to breed a house cat to a tiger because they are both "cats".

I personally dont' agree with hybrids being created simply because people think its cool. Its a bit different if a fish you have in your tank accidentally breeds with another. IF you choose to raise the young go for it but those fish should never leave your tank and be sold to the public.

Example red zebras with another type of zebra.

Whenever possible, crossing geographical variants should also be avoided.

The reason is this ..... some species of fish have already virtually disappeared from their wild homes (some of the Lake Victoria cichlid species are a prime example), and as custodians of these fish, we need to keep the lines as pure as possible, or risk losing them forever.

With some of the more popular species that have been raised in massive fish, farms this is already difficult to achieve (unless purchasing wild caught fish), but with many species, retaining pure lines is still easily accomplished.

If you just want pretty, interesting, or unusual, fish for your own enjoyment, that's ok, but one shouldn't be selling the offspring of these mixes, or giving them away.

At some point down the road these fish will enter the retail market, and within several years can pretty much ruin a species.

Ah screw what people here say abotu hi breds

Statments like this are uncalled for, if the question of hybrid species was not on the mind of the poster, he would have just gone ahead and done what he planned and not bothered to post a question.

A lot of experienced people in the hobby have a lot to say on this subject and people here have different views on this very controversial subject.

I guess my point is that with the attitude of the above quote, why bother posting anything at all if the opinons of other members of this board don't count.

Tom.

Come on guys i didnt mean it like that and it states it in the end of the [post. I ma sorry if i offended anyone. I had second thoughts about it but i couldnt edit it because there :mad: WAS NO EDIT BUTTON :mad: i am sorry. I dont know everything but i do know alot of things. No my opinion doesnt matter but i think that if somebody wants to try something they should be allowed to do it and not be yelled at. Let them experiment. Again tom i am sorry i didnt mean to oddend you.

I know a few people that actually like the idea of seeing what you may end up with from different hybrids. These people of course seem to just be the type that aren't interested in breeding for anything thing other than more fish for their tanks and don't have any intention of distributing. I feel that if you are curious about different out comes from the hybrids then you shouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks. It's just like I was told when I was younger about tattoos, coloring my hair funky colors, peircings, etc. "It's your body you have to live with it. No one else has to." well in this situation "It's your tank and you are the one that has to live with it." So you should be free to experiment and see what happens. If you look at most goldfish they are pretty much hybrids. They lay their eggs with other species eggs and have the males of the other species fertilize the eggs if there are no male Goldfish around. And they do that in the wild. you can probably find most of the hybrids that man makes from fish that are from the same geographic area in the wild anyways. It's just evolution. They do what they have to in order to keep their own "Legacy" alive.

But that is just my opinion. I beleive the only way to truely learn things is to try. Just like the saying "The only stupid question, is the question not asked." if you learn something new from it, then it is a good experience. If you don't then it is just an experience and you can say that you at least tried.

um i was kinda lookin for yes this will work no this wont work.

In my humble opion I hope it dosn't.

Please don't misunderstand I am not objecting to you opion on this subject just the act of doing it intentionally.

Please do re-search on your own, and read all you can on this subject.

All my reading is in the negtive because I happen to suport the idea that we should do all in our power to stop the hybridization of all species.

I do however respect the veiw's of others such as that put forward by Spinalcore. But until someone can prove to me that these muttants will not be released into my hobby, I will retain my opsition to this practice.

Here is one artiicle I found although there are many more, read this and go from there.

http://cichlidresearch.com/hybrids.html

• 2 weeks later...

cichlidkid_ well you have heard some members views.

Now, you must make the personal decession.

Remember, if one does not actually try something new... he can only talk about what others have done!!

AND you may discover why somethings are not simple, as one's ego wants it to be.

Talk is cheap ... the proof is in the tank. :wub:

Smokey

{ this is not meant as a discouragement }.

Quote> I walked by a Univeristy...so I must be smart :smilebig: <

I think you should keep true strains, if you have them.

Numbers are dissapearing in the wild every day. Soon it will be up to us hobbiests to supply most of the available fish, other than from fish farms. Quantities of wild fish being shipped are reduced yearly.

The red tailed shark is extinct in the wild, but is still available to the hobby, thanks to the fish farms, as just one example.

Don't get me wrong. Some of the nicest looking fish have been created by cross breeding for certain traits. Just look at guppies, angels, and discus, just to mention a few. In the hobby this is benificial for the re-sale of new more colorful fish.

Everyone has an opinion on this matter. That is why I will always try to breed true.

The most important thing you should try to do if you want to be a serious breeder, is not to keep inbreeding one generation after another. If you want to continue a strain, you should always be on the lookout for a new male, for all those little girls you must have around.

Happy breeding!!!!