Ammonia test kit

fatpuffer

It has something to do with the lot number. I remember emailing them about this too. If i remember correctly the tests are good for a couple years(amount is different for each type of test) after the lot number year.

So email AP and send them your lot number and they can tell you how long its good for.

I have the same kit it will not work with some water conditioners you might have to get a 3 part kit.

To test ammonia in a system that has been conditioned with ClorAm-X you must use a Salicylate Method test kit and not a Nessler's reagent.

Edited by trixie

Trixie hit the nail on the head. The AP test kit will give you a false positive when using Prime. If your bio filters are established, take your reading at least 24 hrs after performing a water change.

If your water is turning brown/black, I suggest you check your plumbing. :wacko:

Yeah...i tested (just out of curiosity) what happens when pure prime mix with the test kit...black with precipitation. I guess I put too much prime when I tested the water.

BTW the fish are getting better...I think the ammonia is coming down...I used established gravel in pantyhose technique...will leave it there for a few weeks to seed the rest of the gravel and tufa rocks.

Jonah