Spawning Cones

Ryan

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. But I was just reading about two minutes ago that some fish like to spawn inside those little terra cotta flowerpots. If its basically the same thing, then you can get those at any craft store in Calgary.

And if I'm completely off the mark. Please explain to me what item you mean.

Ryan, I have seen the terracota spawning cones on websites for Discus. They have a lip built into them to gather any fry that may be dislodged or skid down the spawning surface. Most are manufactured in the USA. Are you using these for discus?

I have been using terracota wine chillers, plant potts 4" for hertical spawners like discus and angels. Also discus have spawned for me on black PVC 2-4" tubes, same with the angels.

Some fish I spawn on terracota pots that are split in have and are set up as caves. All work well!

post-35-1096420704

Ahhh, seeing those two discus together again brings back fond memories. I always felt like the next spawn they would get better and they were really starting to get the hang of raising fry. At any rate, I find that once discus or angels are on a spawning streak any surface would do. I also used slate, PVC, flower pot, upside down vase but often it was the glass that they preferred. Even with my angels I believed it was always location as opposed to substrate. In the long run, a good cheap wide leaf sword will win out over almost all of these. I did once though have my angels spawn on an aponogeton undulatus in full growing season, the leaf they spawned on was a shooter which grew almost while watching it. The next morning they were upside down fanning the eggs and a few days later the eggs fell to the substrate and were likely enjoyed by catfish. It was fascinating to see that even though they messed up choosing a substrate, they refused to admit it. For the spawning cones if you want them check out aquabid there are always some to be found. If you really want the cones try here, http://www.superiordiscus.com/products/cones.html