Dad's Fishroom

Vallisneria

I have been in there maybe twice and found absolutely nothing!

When we were planning on a filter system, he recommeded an over the tank system for a 230 gallon tank that had an overflow hole built in it :eh:

so.....

And when I went there the advertisement said unusal fish..... Didn't see any?

If there are any, what are they?

Well they updated their site and it looks like the exact address is 9082-51 Ave. I can't wait to check out the new store. Unfortunately now that their hours at only untill 6pm I have a hard time getting down there. Hopefully they will change them so they are atleast open later one night.

If anyone goes to check it out let us know.

[And when I went there the advertisement said unusal fish..... Didn't see any?

If there are any, what are they?

For many years DAD's was known for it's great selection of rare fish. Lately, such has not been the case. "Bread and butter" fish are the normal selection there now, probably an indication of a change in intended target market. Retailers definitely can take a risk supplying rare ( and usually expensive ) fish to a finicky market. By finicky, I mean that some people, upon discovering a rare species in a retailer's tank, then despite realizing the scarcity of a species and the accompanying dearer price, will go out and try to find some way of acquiring the same species and wriggle out of paying the retailer's price. Unsuccessful at this endeavor, they return to the retailer and attempt to "grind" the price down. This can't be a pleasant experience for any retailer, especially when it happens as frequently as it does. It takes a long time for any retailer to cultivate a market for rare fish and it is certainly fraught with far more peril than the common offerings. Over the years I've found that the best way to ensure that LFSs are willingly supply the rare fish market is to purchase those fish ( should they interest you ) and reward the retailer's risk. The bottom line is that no matter how big or small the LFS is, they NEED to make a profit to stay in business. Those that don't profit, don't stay in business, hence the turnover in the industry.

The last time i was there i talked with Henry and he said after the move they are going to start carrying more interesting species. He specifically talked about starting to carry more "rare" apistos and such again.

But i do agree lately they were tending towards more common species, the "bread and butter" fish.

Yeah, Henry's landlord was really giving it to him, so he had to stick w. the sure thing for a bit there. New store, new landlords (who are great, from what I hear - I do business w. a few of the stores in that complex), and a lot more tankspace to fill - may as well bring back some of those rare favorites!

I'm sure it'll soon be a great place to get some rarer SA dwarfs again! Might have to kiss the African's g-bye again??!! :o

they return to the retailer and attempt to "grind" the price down.

You know, I have been called "cheap", "thrifty", "greedy" and other names like "scrounge" when it comes to money. But it has NEVER been comfortable for me to try to bargain down a price. I suppose you have the right to try to bargain, but there is a LOT of risk bringing in ANY fish let alone rare ones. The retailers do take all the risk. They don't have a guarantee if the fish dies, hence the reason why they can get their fish pretty cheap but don't forget they still have to pay rent, utilities and wages.

To each his/her own, but whenever I see someone trying to "grind" down the price, it sickens me.

For those who do this, go shop at Walmart then. Then you can be happy you got what you paid for.

For those who think a fish is way over priced, just leave the store. Someone will probably come along with a bigger wallet and pay it. And they will probably not complain about the price and just be happy they got their treasure.