Huge pair of festae

Nandopsis

I was there a few days ago and they had a monsterous pair.

The male was atleast 14" and female 12", and both had spectacular coloring.

Just a awesome sight to behold.

They are asking a arm and a leg $450 or $500*i can't remember*, but it is definately worth taking a trip there to see them.

hey jay are they as nice as my pair?? just wonderin what price I could get for mine if the sky started to fall.

hey jay are they as nice as my pair?? just wonderin what price I could get for mine if the sky started to fall.

I don't think i've seen a pic of your male. The BA's male is exceptional for a male, and the female is also very nice, but not in the same league as yours. :bow:

Why don't you update some of your pics of both your Festae?

they havent been looking quite as good as they should lately, im pissed off because my gay jag (he hits on the male festae) roughed up the female a bit for getting too close to the male, nothing serious maybe 5 scales missing and a small split in the tail but still.

im setting up my 110 so the festaes will have the 90 to them selfs.

Thanks all... Those are my festae. Or they were I traded them in for a bunch of discus last weekend. If the four hundred is a little steep I'm growing out about one hundred of their babies right now, they're about 2"s. I'll let them go for a lot less than that.

I also traded in the big pair of "Super Red Gold Severum" in the tank across the aisle... In fact they might have sold already. They were actually more impressive than they festae.

I find it hard to believe they're pricing those fish at that, but they are damn nice, and I can tell you they breed every three weeks if you keep them happy. Good food, lots of room, and water changes all the time.

Cichlidkid, I've seen pix and you have some nice fish, but I think yours may have to do a little growing up before they get into the same kind of shape as that pair. The male is massive, and thick, and the female has colour unlike any other festae I've kept. And I've bred more than a couple pairs.

Send me a PM if you want some fry!

do you have any pics?

Yeah J-Roc you're probably right, for some reason the big sa/ca's aren't all that popular up here. Too bad. I've actually changed up the fishroom a bit lately. Like I said previous, I traded the festae pair and the severums for a bunch of discus.

I have a few more fish in the Big Al's tanks - the five twelve inch long fin albino oscars are mine too, traded them for a bunch of green terrors and some other grow outs. I figure they have about 100 inches of my cichlids in there!

I always want to have some festae in the fish room so I'll get another pair out of the fry, get a pair out of the green terrors, then grow out a pair of jags, and possibly another set of gold severum.

I'm still waiting for my F2 Thoricthys "Blue Mextico" to pair off and spawn, they're slow growing for neos.

I'm also gonna dedicate one of my tanks to a monster, single fish. Dovii are around pretty common lately, but I'd really like to get an Umbie. But I haven't seen one yet.

Cichlidkid, I didn't take any pix of the pair, but maybe someone can go by Big Als and grab a shot or two. I bet you'll see your pair put on a lot of size as soon as you get them a place of their own. I think I saw at least one jag, and a green terror in your pix. If your festae get to the size my pair were, those guys will be dead in a heartbeat. Has your pair spawned, if they have, it's pretty surprising those tankmates aren't dead already!

I spawned them twice, I still have about 7 fry left from the first one.

It's weird Calgary is full of umbees when I've never seen one up here, too bad. Thank's for mentioning the old black nasty.. now I'll have to get another tank! Maybe I'll take a road trip, I actually lived in the City of Cows for a couple years. It's not too bad.

Maybe I'm nuts, but the Big Al's in Edmonton doesn't seem that bad to me. And as far as selection goes theres no other store that even comes close. I know a few of the guys there, and they definitely know what they're doing when it comes to fishkeeping. They have a breeding pair if Motoro rays that have produced viable offspring twice now. And for big cichlids there's no other choice in Edmonton.