Feeding with NLS pellets.

RickJordan

I definately wouldn't use the 2 minute feeding rule with nls

I add a couple pinches(If i had to guess it would be about 1/2tsp) once a day of the 1mm cichlid pellets, sometimes I feed 2x but not usually. I have 20 mbuna/haps and 9 syno petricola in my 90g. I throw the food in the filter output so it gets spread around evenly(and falls to the gravel for the synos). All my fish have grown quickly and are healthy. I watch to make sure everyone is getting some pellets.

Well thats what i do on my adult tank. For my juvies and fry i feed a couple times a day.

Yeah, I definitely don't feed as much as they'll eat in 2 minutes - I'd be ording a big pail every month! And, I only have 4 tanks! :D

I agree with Val, a pinch or 2 goes a long way, and keeps the fish eagerly coming out of hiding everyone someone comes into the room in hopes of being fed.

1-2 minutes is a general guideline, it depends on the species, as well as their growth stage.

With most adult mbuna & haps, 20 seconds once or twice a day should suffice. As long as a fishes energy output is matched or slightly exceeded by their food intake, they will continue to grow, spawn, and overall thrive. Some species eat large meals once every 2-3 days in the wild, and use up very little energy in an aquarium environment (such as Frontosa), other species such as Tropheus are high energy fish and eat small amounts all day long.

There is no definitive answer to the question of "how much should I feed?", it can vary from one tank to the next, but one can usually get a feel for it with time & experience.

When in doubt, feed less, as most people tend to overfeed.

HTH

Edited by RD.

RD are you planning on ever getting in the goldfish formula? The Progold I normally buy (another specialty food) makes some of my goldies floaty, even if I only feed a teeny amount of pellets once or twice a week. so I've actually cut out all pellets from one of my tank's diet completely and am feeding only fresh foods with a small amount of frozen. It's a pain in the butt. I'd love to try NLS, but the only place I can find it is Big Al's and I have rather strong feelings about that place. If you do start carrying it I know a few people who would more than likely order it from you as well.

Not really, as I find that certain formulas are geared more towards retail stores, than online.

You might be interested in reading this thread:

http://forums.spectrumfishfood.com/viewtopic.php?p=508

.... and I do carry the 1mm TherA formula that is being used by the goldfish owner in that thread.

There's an importer/breeder of Betta's in Calgary that also feeds the TherA formula to all of her fish.

I also carry 3mm pellets (same size as the Goldfish formula) that would be just as suitable if your fish are quite large.