I got another mantis

rudy

From what I can tell from my limited knowledge he is a Odontodactylus havanensis. He is cream color with red along the edges. Smasher. This morning he has a bit of brown pattern on his back. I will try to get some pics. I have him in a 6 gallon tank on my desk.

He caught my eye at a fish store here as he was on top of the over flow literally braining damsels trying to catch one.

I had to have it!!

These guys could get addicting. Now I have a ciliatis and this guy and on the look out for peacock as I stupidly sold my last one.

Wonder what happens if you put 2 of those together? Anyone know?

It would not be long until one would be butterflied. My ciliata is supposed to be o.k. With starfish. This morning I found two legs on the bottom of the tank.

These animals facinate me. It really makes you feel good to be bigger than them!

I haven't done any salt water, so this may be a rather basic question. What sort of facilities would I need to keep one of these? The stomatopods have interested me since I found this site awhile back. Just a peice of liverock in a tank and a constant supply of food with water changes?

Actually I have found it is a Gonodactylus chiragra. Female

Keeping them is easy.

The smaller the tank you have the harder it is. Ina 5-10 gallon tank it takes very little to lower the water quality, so you must be religous about doing your water changes, do 10 percent water changes every week.

As far as the setup a 10 gallon tank with a flourescent is fine. The don't care about light. a HoB filter with all the filters removed and replaced with live rock rubble and a heater. In the Tank i have 1 large piece of rock he lives under a couple smaller pieces and some rubble.

As far as daily maintenance , in the morning i throw in some shrimp when i turn on the light and top off every few days. Some feed mysis shrimp, but mine loves krill and large pieces of shrimp. It is funny to watch them carry it around.

Edited by rudy