A little about me

Oxquo

Hi all, and thanks to ABwildrose for telling me about this site. I have been an aquarist for about 16 years now and have strayed from species to species just to keep the interest going like most aquarists. Believe it or not of all the years I am just now awaiting my first mouthbrooder spawn, a young Haplichromis Nyererei. As I mentioned my interest has swayed from time to time but always I have been most intrigued by the Geophagine family. As with breeding any fish I believe it necessary to begin with the easy and work your way to the hard, such as breeding Cory aeneus to get to Cory sterbai, I have bred Geophagus Brazilliensis and just recently Gymnogeophagus Rhabdotus on my quest to breed the ultimate satanoperca daemon. Breeding is just one of my interests in the hobby, I am often found experimenting with cultures, foods and herbs in my tanks as well as inventing new and more creative ideas to make the hobby a better one.

I guess we all have our lists of wants and needs in the hobby and our recent merge of our small fish group with Calgary's Tropical Fish Breeders Association has been a great step. Although we are a small and growing group, I encourage any Edmontonians to find out what we are about as nothing but good can come from it. We are looking forward to the induction of the Canadian fish database which will allow members to exchange new strains and stock country wide.

Here are a list of my fish:

sturisoma aureum (I have a male and desperately need a female or two)

L010a loricaridae (I have a female and no males)

Ancistrus dolichopterus spawned pair and many young through out my tanks.

Cory sterbai wild trio and many juvies the trio is at a friends place right now hopefully spawning for him.

Geophagus Brazilliensis

Gymnogeophagus Rhabdotus

Geophagus leucosticta

Geophagus Xingu

Microgeophagus Ramirezi

Rhinolocaria Microleplidigastor

Aspidoras Goia

P.Pulcher

Pseudo Saulosi

M. Johanni

S.Fryeri

Hap, nubilous

Hap nyererei

Hap Obliquedins A. Limax

Fundulo Gardneri Lafia

Fundulo Spoorenbergi

Crenicichla Striggatta

Discus

Fish I am looking for include:

Gymnogeophagus balzanii

Gymnogeophagus australe

Sturisoma Aureum or other sturisoma species.

Of course any geophag or gymno geophag not yet mentioned

Biotodoma Cupido Santarem.

In additio to this I enjoy feeding live foods and am searching for a way to access Microfex worms I have seen them on aquabid and would like to get these and spread these around a bit so we don't lose them. For info on my fishroom, articles or the TFBA in Edmonton feel free to contact me directly. Or check out my desperately needing an update homepage. My Webpage

The Tropical fish breeders association begun in Calgary around 2 years ago. It's goals and morals were above and beyond any club I have ever seen which is why I pursued the merge so hard. Meeting in other members fishrooms and being surrounded by fish for one makes for excellent conversations as well as seeing each members DIY ideas in motion. I have yet to walk out of a meeting with fish or plants and our newest members will say the same thing. Conversations bounce around from guppies to groupers as each member tries to create interest within their own favorites. Politics which are so important in other clubs are left behind and so are money issues. We charge an annual membership fee which covers 4 huge newsletters which are well written and renewal is only $15.00 per year. Our meetings in Edmonton will go throughout the Summer as I also keep fish in the warmer months where many clubs close meetings due to lack of interesr, we feel if 2 people get together to talk fish it was a meeting well worth it. Our group not only focuses on breeding but every aspect of keeping fish, plants and cultures. In our attempts to advertise and grow without attacking other clubs we expect members to spread the word. I personally believe it is good to join many clubs to create a wealth of knowledge within each group and ourselves. A few of us have swapped breeding pairs and groups with each other which creates a great interest in the species we love and gives you the extra push to go down to the fishroom when the interest starts to subside. We have no awards programs which I find promotes secrets instead of the desire to show or teach someone how you did what you did or spawn what you spawned. I still can't say our club is for everyone, but if you enjoy getting together with a group of friends or soon to be friends who have similar interests in the Worlds greatest hobby and discussing the hobby by putting our fish first before ourselves, relishing in group discounts via bulk sales and where the members ideas and suggestions are taken into account of how the group can become bigger and better. Also creating stronger strains of fish not breeding for points or rewards but because that particular fish is a joy to us and we want others to share in it. Let's face it, have you seen a really exceptional kribensis lately? Angels and discus who instinctively raise their own fry the natural way? These are the fish that we want as members of our club as well. You don't just buy a membership for you, it is for your whole family and fish in this club are family. I guess I could go on and on but I won't hope you have some questions answered, I will post the link to our web page for all interested and the next meeting will be on a friday due to members response not this one but next one. Email me to get on our mailing list if you like as we cannot post members addresses in the bargain finder ad's. Attending a meeting to check us out is free but each person must phone for location and state the number of participants attending before each meeting so we can have the room and enough beverages for all. I am out of fingertips now so here is the link.TFBA

That club sounds great. I think i may have to join. How many members are there?

I"d like to be added to your mailing list( marky_mark15@hotmail.com ). WHat do you get through the mailing list? Is it like a message group?

I"m just going now to read through the website a bit more. Thanks

Basically the messages via email or phone will only have info about meeting dates, locations and hosts. We like to save all the good fish chat for the meetings although I am never too bored to just talk fish. With membership will come the newsletter The Brood via mail. I look forward to posting some of my spawning reports and many articles on this site hoping that they may help some people and help to make them better aquarists. Don't get me wrong though, the fact that I am still learning means I am still struggling in areas of fishkeeping so an exchange of info is what I am looking for. The great part of our hobby is that you can never know it all that is why we seek other aquarists and realize that even the novice aquarist can open your eyes. I remember having some problems with a certain tank and a newbie to the hobby asked me"what are your water properties?" After telling so many newbies to test their water I realized that I myself could only answer"likely around this pH and that hardness and probably few to no nitrates. After testing my water I realized my pH had blown through the roof and my RO unit needed new filters. I am a terrible photographer as well so any pointers there would be a help. I have only ever taken one of what I consider a good photo of my Rams I will test it to see if it works here as I like to tell stories with pictures regardless of my bad photo skills.

As for the group We have many members in Calgary, in Edmonton I think we are around 6 so far although we have just begun and this will be only our second meeting as TFBA. I feel we could grow fast but don't want to step on toes. I have already gotten some nasty emails about bringing this group to Edmonton and I mean nasty. I would hope that the other Edmonton groups would look at our group as a reason to better themselves and offer their members something more as opposed to trying belittling tactics against us. Look forward to seeing you with us in the future.

Its hard to beleive that people would resort to sending nasty emails. I think of it as the more the merrier,especially since both clubs seem quite different.

I"m not to into breeding yet. I have just had a few batches fry a couple of my africans(L.ocellatus,iodotropheus,red peacocks) Nothing too hard. I am starting to get more into aquatic photography and have taken a couple fairly decent photos but I am still new to it myself. I shoudl be posting some in the photo section soon :)

look forward to seeing your pics. There are so many areas of fishkeeping we can not be pro's at them all I've always said. We do have have members that aren't breeders as well. Any fishkeeper is a potential breeder. I remember my first guppy fry, the excitement was huge yet I had no idea what to do with the fry. I'd say that these days with the internet your answers can be as close as a message board like this. Success is always the key. Raising guppy fry successfully leads to breeding other fish, fish we never dreamed of breeding. Our success is now in a group based on both the success and failure of others. Our group is alot different in the sense that we talk fish under no format or guidelines. Our topics can range from Hydra to Discus in 5 seconds, I think that is a good learning experience for all.