Discoloured water

Just curious how to clear up water discoloured from using peat & having wood in the tanks. If activated carbon isn't such a good idea, or if it would have to keep being changed every couple of weeks (which could prove prohibitive if using a quality product), what's the best way to keep the water from resembling oversteeped black tea?

Just curious how to clear up water discoloured from using peat & having wood in the tanks. If activated carbon isn't such a good idea, or if it would have to keep being changed every couple of weeks (which could prove prohibitive if using a quality product), what's the best way to keep the water from resembling oversteeped black tea?

Quit using peat! :rolleyes:

OK, quit using peat.... So, next question is, how do I go about keeping the pH at around 6.5, with regular water changes with very soft water for breeding SA cichlids, without adding tons of buffer, pH down, removing tannins which are crucial, etc., etc., risking a pH crash....?

Forgot to add: without breaking the bank buying bottled RO water....

Edited by k9outfit

Thanks for your answer, neatfreak!

So, basically I might as well learn to like it? I have mopani & grapevine in the tank at the moment instead of driftwood; bad choice? Also, what colour spectrum (for lighting) would you suggest would work best in bringing out the colours through the tea water?

I like it, too, in some tanks. Depends on the fish, I guess. I think it would increase the security feeling of some shy fish, too, so that could be a benefit.

-Hideo

I'm not sure what your tap water is like where you live, but I'd say your best bet is to just remove the deep coloration thru regular WCs. Eventually, the wood in your tank (which is probably the main source of the coloration) will reduce the amount it leaches. The only way I know how to speed up this process is to boil, reboil and boil again, replacing the water each time. Then, once it cools, it should leach way less.

BTW, GAC = Granular Activated Carbon

to speed up this process is to boil, reboil and boil again

Thanks for the suggestion. I had boiled the wood before, just not numerous times. I'll give it another go. Oh; and we have regular city water which we have hauled; same stuff you guys use.... Just mega more $$$$

I use 6500k day light bulbs and if you want a more clear look to the water. Try adding a actinic bulb in with the 6500k.

I'll go looking for the 6500k bulb, and I do have a couple of small actinic ones lying around that I could try. Thanks for the input and offer :thumbs: ! It'll ultimately be for a 230 gallon, though the fish are in a 33 long at the moment, to be transfered to a 55 or so by the end of the week.