Tetra Tank

Guest New to fish

Zebra Danios are a good first fish. They appear to be really tough and very cheap too!!! You may consider checking out Pisces Pets (Calgary) on Saturday mornings. They usually have a few select fish very cheap (we have bought neons for fifty cents each)

Be sure to tell them you are a beginner and I am sure they will help you out!

Dave :beer:

Guest New to fish

I could not find a store in Red Deer that has any shrimp. I just have normal lighting right now, what special lighting do I need? Thank you for telling me about the store in Calgary :heart:

I could not find a store in Red Deer that has any shrimp.

Riverfront in Calgary has cherry shrimp.

I just have normal lighting right now, what special lighting do I need?

Not much. What exactly is this 'normal' lighting you have? Incandescent? Fluorescent? If incandescent, is it two bulbs? A single fluorescent tube would likely be sufficient for lower-light plants, although a second tube would be beneficial. However, if you already have incandescent lighting and it is a two-bulb outlet, you need only buy some compact fluorescent screw-in bulbs (Home Depot, Rona, etc) and you will have enough light for most plants.

Yes they can survive the trip. In cold weather you put a small heat pack in a cooler and put your bags of fish in with it. In this weather just a straight cooler will do the trick to stop them from getting too hot. Buy your fish last on your trip and straight home. No hanging out in our finer establishments. ;)

• 1 month later...

10 gallon with 2 incandescent are the BEST small tanks for PLANTS!

Put 2 13w compact flourescent bulbs in and you'll have 26w or 2.6 wpg of lighting, that will be lots for low/medium light plants.

Don't go larger like 15w because they get too large (diameter) and won't fit well.

Regards,

Andrew

Edited by Golfnut

To add to Andrew's post, add some CO2 or Seachem's Exel. Your plants will LOVE you! Do large frequent Water Changes and everything would go great.

I love the list Christian (Toirtis) gave! Go for it, and have fun!