Poll:

cgmac

Something that I have been thinking of for a while.....to see what filters you all are using on your planted tanks?

I am using an AC 200 with sponge and biomax media. I am just finding that there is still so much "crud" in my tank. I have a plastic lid from a container over the outflow of the filter to alleviate surface turbulance (that was by suggestion of Milan many months ago!)

I feed the fish sparingly once a day. I have been thinking of buying an Eheim 2213 for my tank to see if this helps to keep it cleaner than it is. I do once a week water changes.

33 gallon planted quite heavily

6 bleeding heart tetras

10 cardinal tetras

4 blue rams

My 55 gal Planted Tank has a Tetra HOB filter. I only have lava rock - took out the cartriges it came with - and the sponge it has over the return. I bought this filter b/c it has a heater that fits inside the filter, not in the tank.

I then inject CO2 through a powerhead - AC 300.

When I set up one of those AquaGiant tanks as a planted tank (probably just Crypts and E. tennelus), I will be using the sump built into the tank with foam and lava rock, CO2 injected through a powerhead.

I currently run different filters, sump,aqua clear,fluval,eheim 2215, eheim pro series

My favorites r eheims because they r silent, move lots of water and I can put difrent media in them, and low maintenence... I love them. they r the BEST. imo :& they cost more but r worth every cent!!!!

Thanks Jason...like the idea of the new tank. I would dearly love to have another tank up and running, but don't seem to have enough time for the one that I have now! Time to do my weekly water change.....

Hey Finaddict ....thanks.....do you find that the eheim keeps alot of the detritus off the gravel? Anytime I touch something in the tank I get a cloud of stuff floating in the water. I run a Magnum 250 after each water change with the micron cartridge, and sometimes with diatom powder but not often. That helped clear my tank of green water once and have never seen it return.

I use AquaClears on my planted tanks. On my 58g I have 1 AC300 and a AC200, on my 20g I have a AC200. I rigged the output to not create too much water movement and they seem to be doing fine. I just use 2 sponges in each and sometimes some filter floss after water changes to polish the water a bit more.

maybe add a powerhead with quick filter attachment to stirr up and coolect more detrudis.

I am currently using an Aquaclear 350 on my 35 Gal and two XP3's on my 90 Gal. They seem to be the right amount. I always like to circulate more water than not enough

I use AC's almost exclusively.

I run an AC 500 on my 55, as well as a Rena XP3. I run an AC 300 on my 33 gallon, an AC 300 on my 20, another AC 500 on my 17 puffer tank, AC 200 on my cray tank. I 'll be running a 55 gallon sump on my 180 gallon, and my Rena XP3 on there as well, I may be running an AC 300 on there, or a 200, as an experiment. I am thinking of running the filter empty, and rigging it up somehow to have a plant in there (houseplant) on some kind of a shelf I'd build into the filter.

I've got a few other AC's laying around from tanks I took down.

I personally don't like cannister filters so far. I've never had a problem with my water quality when I was using just my AC's, so the only advantage I have found thus far is the return hose giving me more options. A HOB filter has one option, waterfall. The cannister allows me more creativity, which I like. However, my Rena XP3 I bought used for 100$, and it pumps out 350 gph. My AC500 was 70$ new, and pumps out 500 gph.

I wouldn't buy a cannister filter again, unless it pumps major gph and doesn't cost a fortune. However, I do like my XP3 enough that I'd never get rid of it. The customization of using the return hose pretty much however I want is quite nice.

-Hideo