DIY CO2 Question

fatpuffer

I have a DIY generator and attached the end of the tube to a powerhead. After a week or so, I noticed that the output of CO2 is less. I checked the end of the tube and there seems to be a constriction of the inner part of the tube. I guess that the CO2 and water creates a carbonic acid, slowly constricting the flow. I cut that piece off and the flow is back to normal.

Question is: Can I do anything to prevent the tube from "melting" I can continue to cut the tube but eventually I will have to buy a new set since this will be shortened. Can I use any other tubing, ie. hospital O2 tubes or IV lines?

THANKS

Js

Is the tube degenerating, or is there a build up at the end? IME, when using DIY, the end will start to clog with a build up of some sort. I think it could be bacteria or fungi that feed off the sugar - not completely sure, tho. Try using a toothpick to clean it out.

BTW, I use a plastic valve to constrict the flow of CO2 into my powerheads, so that the smallest bubbles possible get injected into the powerhead's intake (not the venturi hole).

I, too, have the tube inserted in the intake part of the powerhead. It may be a build up of the tubing "melting" due to carbonic acid.

I like the plastic valve idea...where can i get one of those valve?

On another note, the plants you send me are nice and healthy. I found a couple of snail egg patches on them. I hope they hatch...extra foods for the puffs.

THANKS!

Js

They're cheepo plastic valves... can't think of the name, but they're blue. It's has 2 male ends and a screw in the middle. I pick 'em up at Nature's Corner when I need one for about 50¢ a piece.

Edited by jvision

Hey there:

One solution is to get the appropriate size of brake line. This stuff is RAM tough and will not succumb to the carbolic acid. I would also suggest that you get a 1 litre pop bottle and put two holes in the lid. Insert the outlet from the generator in on hole and run the tubing down to a couple of inches from the bottom. Insert the line to the tank about one inch into the other hole. Tape the 1 litre tank to the side of the generator so that the tops are approximately level. This will stop the contamination issue and give you a resevoir in case the generator overflows.

Cheers;

My generator is outside the tank apprx.2.5 feet below the powerhead. I dont think there is any contamination at all. I think the carbonic acid is slowly eating away at the tubing (inside) and it builds up to mushy consistency inside.

Where do u get break line.

THANKS ALL!

Js

Fatpuffer, I'm leaning toward Jvision's diagnose of your problem. It is known that yeast/sugar mixtures provide a very good breading ground for bacteria and fungus stuff. I experienced it too, when I was on DIY. It appears like a whitish, jelly-like substance which obstructs the gas flow. However, if you are not using silicone tubing for your CO2 line, you may blaim the H2CO3, but such a tube meltdown would occur after a long period of time.