Seachem Flourish Excel

TheGr8Blade

Went out and got myself some Seachem flourish excel. Cleaned up my tank, scraping the yucky algae off the back wall. Did the 40% water change as recommended. Within the past 5 days I have lost both my figure eight puffers. :cry: Within hours of the first application they seemed strange. Wouldn't eat the next morning. The other fish in the tank are perfectly fine. Very disturbing to me. I should have moved them but as per Seachem website....

Q: Is Flourish Excel™ safe for fish?

A: Yes, when used as directed, Flourish Excel is completely safe for fish.

I used WAY less than the recommended dose due to my unfamiliarity to this product. So just a heads up! :cry:

I've never had any problems when used as directed; however, when I upped the dosage (when my CO2 tank was empty), both species of Valisneria I had at the time melted.

My 2¢

I use excel in a couple of my tanks and i've had great results. My planted 20g was getting lots of hair algae and after a week after adding the excel the algae was gone and the plants are doing great. I added the recommended dose and even have fry and sensitive fish in the tank without any problems.

After you noticed your puffers getting sick did you test the water? Maybe you had an ammonia spike or something. Did you remember to add the water conditioner? I'm not saying that is wasn't because of the excel but it could be something else too.

I doubt that the Excel is what caused your problems, unless it is a problem with your specific bottle. I know many puffer keepers who use it regularly and have used it myself with puffers but not currently.

Have you tested everything else? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH?

Did you add anything else to your water?

What kind of salt are you using? Any big changes in salinity?

Have you seen any changes to the plants?

If something else was wrong the puffers may have been the most sensitive to it. They really can't handle some compounds like heavy metals well at all.

I too have had nothing but good results with Excel. I have never had trouble with it hurting any fish. I have had the same crew in my tank for the last six months, since startup. I also use pressurized co2, and feel that the biggest benefit for my tank (with the use of Excel) is the control of the fuzz/hair algae that Degrassi has also experienced.

Sorry to hear about your puffers passing.