This past auction...

Heh...luckily I don't keep Africans, otherwise I would have had a damn hard time trying to figure it all out. Glad to hear that I wasn't going crazy, though...I thought for sure that my limited knowledge of Africans was completely and totally wrong after all of that.

I walked away with one of the bags of panda cories - admittedly, probably more expensive than I would have ordinarily bought for...but after two hours I had to get going and didn't feel like waiting around to see if the second/third bags went for less, and bumping the other bags probably wouldn't have done any good.

Does anyone know who the seller was on the cories, by the way?

I liked the new location, but it's too bad that there weren't facilities for a concession.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The concession would have helped. There was food available from the restaurant, but if you have to leave the room to get food, you might as well go somewhere you choose to eat.

Which, I am assuming many, many did.

I think less lots

and that fact that the bidding didnt go high.. I mean most items there were only 2 people bidding. Made it go by quicker..

I mean when the auctioneer says 1 dollar to start. and it ends at 1 dollar..

goes fast

-roll-

I mean when the auctioneer says 1 dollar to start. and it ends at 1 dollar..

goes fast

That was music to my ears when i won your pheno at that cost!!!

my wife asked my what i was willing to spend on the pheno...

i told her the most i would have spent (being the only fish that i wanted) was $20!

thank goodness Darcy is going the the salty side!!!

nev

Edited by nevchewy

The concession would have helped

I would suspect that in a place like that, food would not be allowed to be brought in, but would have to be strictly the hotel's - though I could be wrong....

My favorite lot of the day was the C. afra "Electric Yellow" pairs

Unfortunately, a lot of the auction items are mislabeled or are misleading, and the runners or auctioneers have to make a snap judgement as to what the heck is really in that bag. Sometimes, we can save the day, other times - in the case of hybrids, for instance - there's not a hope. Then you just go with whatever's on the label, even if you know that it's clearly incorrect. For instance, we all knew that the bag labelled "Labidochromis freyeri" was incorrect, but none of us could come up with a realistic alternative in the given few seconds, so it was auctioned off as a "Labidochromis freyeri"; originally "a pair", but the male had killed the other fish in the bag, at the auction.

Also, personally, I'd hate to be the one in front of the mike for ~5 hours straight, trying to make each and every lot desireable and interesting; especially towards the end of the day when everyone - auctioneers, runners, and customers - is getting a bit stale on proceedings. I think the auctioneers did an excellent job, even though there was the occasional slip-up. If anyone figures they can do as well (or better?), by all means, I'm sure it would be nice for the resident auctioneers to be spelled off and given breaks. (If I remember correctly, one of the auctioneers didn't take any breaks, and the other one (the gibbled one with his arm in a sling) took about a 1/2 hour break to rest his arm.) So, sign up all you critics, for the next auction! (meant in the nicest way possible.... :rolleyes: )

Edited by k9outfit

i wish i didnt bring the kids to the auction. i would have sat down and actually participated instead of just picking up some fish fromp pop eye, dunl, and ellie.

i have never been to the hall before but sands is usualy a good place to hold these things. the reptile show is also there about a month back or so.

but next time i will deffinatly join in the auction.

did all the fish at the auction sell?

For instance, we all knew that the bag labelled "Labidochromis freyeri" was incorrect (something that was missed by "the crowd"?), but none of us could come up with a realistic alternative in the given few seconds, so it was auctioned off as a "Labidochromis freyeri"; originally "a pair", but the male had killed the other fish in the bag, at the auction.

I believe these were Darcy's fish and that they were "Labidochromis freibergi".

I do agree that people need to better label their bags. Having generic names like "blue peacock" or multiple fish of different species in the same bag doesn't give you a lot to go on when trying to figure out what the fish are. So i completely understand why there was some confusion.

For instance, we all knew that the bag labelled "Labidochromis freyeri" was incorrect, but none of us could come up with a realistic alternative in the given few seconds, so it was auctioned off as a "Labidochromis freyeri"; originally "a pair", but the male had killed the other fish in the bag, at the auction.

You're kidding right? There were at least 4 bags of "Aulonacara jacobfreibergi" that were auctioned off previously, but you guys thought it said "Labidochromis fryeri"?

And yes, I already said that I wasn't volunteering so take my criticism with a grain of salt.

I did have a problem with my six F1 melanochromis joanjohnsonae being started off at $5 in the bag, and the 5 mbweca adults (which were also labelled "not very common") being started off at the same price. But I can't really complain, because that is the chance you take with the auctions.

Edited by dunl

I picked up the Labidochromis freibergi because i knew thats what it was. I was wondering what happend to the female. but its all good.

I also had a problem with my 4 inch pheno starting at 1 dollar.

and all my F1's starting at 1 dollar

My appologies, DUNL. You're right, I remembered wrong, and made the wrong connection; it was late in the day.

The point I was trying to make is that there are quite a few mislabelled lots & misleading information, which makes it difficult for the auctioneers when they're seeing the contents for only a few seconds and going by the description provided.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a number of the lots were started off at $5.00 or $10.00, but not a soul would bid 'til the openning bid was dropped to $1.00. A number of times Ken even commented that the bidding will go past $10.00 (which it usually did), so why not start there, but still wouldn't get any bids 'til he'd start over, at a buck.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a number of the lots were started off at $5.00 or $10.00, but not a soul would bid 'til the openning bid was dropped to $1.00. A number of times Ken even commented that the bidding will go past $10.00 (which it usually did), so why not start there, but still wouldn't get any bids 'til he'd start over, at a buck.

I wouldn't consider that wrong. However, I would consider that the above was a precedent set by the auctioneer, not the audience. It was pretty easy to see that after a while, people were just sitting back because they knew he'd lower the price.