concrete blocks

I have 8 of these blocks, of two different sizes, and I was thinking of starting a cichlid tank, as my hub wants "COLOR WOMAN!" (at least he tolerates my tanks... might as well make him happy) If I smashed up a couple into big, but caveable, pieces, would they affect the water? Pretty sure they are made of concrete, and they are'nt painted. Any thoughts? Personally, I would fill the whole thing with appi splends... I like those fishies. Oh, tanks a 30-40G. I know I know, not much for a cichlid tank, but my 70 has all my loaches and corys and tetras! and my 2 20's are for hatching more DAMN CORYS! Love those fish, I just wish they would lay eggs when I am home, instead of coming home to 100+ empty sacks stuck to the glass...

My experience with concrete blocks has shown (some) to leach various solutions for over a yearwhen exposed to the elements

To be honest I wouldn't trust any type of broken concrete in any of my tanks. Don't forget broken stuff will have sharp edges. If you go ahead with your plan be sure to sand off the sharp parts

Dave :beer: :beer:

Go to WalMart and pick up about 6 pots - they're usually around $1 ea. You can just drop them, or use a chisel/saw for more acurate breaks.

Go to WalMart and pick up about 6 pots - they're usually around $1 ea. You can just drop them, or use a chisel/saw for more acurate breaks.

okay, no blocks in tank...*L* I was looking and thought... um, wouldnt those be very sharp breaks... man, i need more sleep... maybe if I go garage "sailing" and buy some of those hideous urns and smash those... and my hubs a painter... got a lot of sandpaper... how many fish could i put in a 40G? And, currently, I have one HUGE angelfish in there (he's 8" from top to bottom of fins) Can I put anything in there with him or do I have to wait until he dies to use that specific tank? Or maybe I could sell him...I'd like some of those electric blues for 15$ *GRYN* Sorry for all the questions... I can breed an army of cory cats of all types but cichlids are not in my zone of know how.