DISASTER!!

KTV

Around 12:15 - 12:45 this morning - Oct 20 one of my ODNO bulbs over heated and started a fire on the top of my fishtank. Everyone was sleeping and when the smoke alarm started going off it was too late. My canopy had burned through the lights, the glass top on the aquarium had melted and caved into the tank. There was smoke and ash everywhere in the room. The fish were all poisoned and gasping for air. Two aquaclear 500s were melted as well as an Optima air pump.

After putting out the fire and clearing the smoke out of the house, I netted all the fish out of the tank and rinsed them off and placed all in a bucket. Initially, it looked like they might have made it.. but the poison eventually got to them.

Out of the fish I had in the tank, only 7 survived.

The lost - a group of 5 Danios, 2 leopards + 3 zebra.

- on dwarf flame gourami

- 4 threadfin rainbows - just bought these from riverfront last weekend, beautiful little fish...

- my paired Blue Rams

- my breeding pair Kribensis and their fry.... :cry:

- all 15 neon tetras

The lucky ones - a pair of gold gouramis

- a dwarf gourami

- a clown pleco

- a spotted sail-fin pleco

- a pair of corydoyas

I had to uproot all of the plants that had settled into the substrate and now I'm worried they'll all wilt and melt.

I'm not sure what to do right now... I have no one but myself to blame for overdriving my lights from some instructions I found from the internet.

I've just lost about 100 dollars worth of fish and 500 dollars worth of equipment but atleast it was not worse. This had the potential to be so much worse.

I've changed the water in the tank to new water and placed the surviving fish back into the tank, they have calmed down a bit and I think they'll live through this ordeal.

My throat's still sore from inhaling all the smoke and the entire house stinks.

I don't think I would ever want to risk my family and my pets' lives ever again. No more "ghetto-rigging" that has the potential to be a fire hazard.

Thank you for sharing your expierence, KV.

All members should read and learn from this post.

Quote>>No more "ghetto-rigging"<<. A person has to be very careful when doing DIY setups.

Smokey

Personal note: I have been doing DIY / expiermental / this is a good idea, stuff for many, many years. All have the potiental for disaster. Some did!!!!! Some were just bad ideas [ garbage CAN].

And a few actually turned out to be Great Ideas/DIY projects , equipement.

Do not give up; just be very, very careful :wub::wub:

Im sorry to hear that. DIY can be dangerous and sorry for you, u had to find out the hard way. I have a pair of rams at my place i will sell you for 30 bucks if you want. Proven breeders. Got some neons also 5 for 10 bucks i can throw in some plants too.

Thank you for everyone's comments. It's time to pick up the peices and move on, I'll see how the survivors are doing after work.

When I'm ready to restock my fish tank - I'll be sure to ask for the assistance of the members of this forum.

:o Wow... I am really sorry to hear that!!

Thank God no one was hurt or you didn't have more damage to your home!!

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sure we all can learn a little something from it, I'm just sorry it happened to you. :(

Holy, WOW. I am so happy to here no family members were hurt. Fire is a bad thing...As for the tank, fish and plants at least they can be replaced. Loved ones can't.

That is so scary. But as commented earlier dudilagance is a must. This is critical. I have hopefully always looked at DIY projects with a safety issue in mind. 2 years ago I built out my basement and because electricity is my only fear in life I had a journeyman come in a change my outlets to GFI's. I used to run power bars and on some tanks I still do. But my fishroom is on GFI outlets. I did this because a friend of mine had a simalar experience but not to your extent. It scared me to be frank.

Again as mentioned before on another reply. Dont let this deter you from DIY projects. All said and done it is a major learning curve for you and also for your fellow aquarists by your experience. Thanks for sharing. Keep well.

Cheers,

Garhan

Update:

Another Corydoyas bit the bullet. I guess he fought for two days but couldn't fight the poison out of his system. He was just lying on his back this morning when I saw him gasping for air.

I made a couple of braces and bought a sheet of glass for the top of the tank.

Anyone have any ideas where I can get the rubber/plastic hinge peice that goes in between two sheets of glass to open the one sheet up and down for feeding and stuff? I need hinges about 20" in legth each.

Any one with any ideas SAFE lighting ideas for my fish tank? I'm deffinately not going with overdriven flourescent again. Anyone with used compact flourescent fixtures or ballasts they want to sell?