Water Chem Help!

So we have had our 130 gal cycling with our new live rock for almost a month, no die off on the rock but a bit of algae. I have been testing the water and today this is what the outcome was:

nitrite - 3.0

ammonia - 0

pH -8.2

nitrate - 20

Salinity 1.026

How come levels of nitrite would be up if the nitrate is down...is this because there are no fish to help the nitrite/ammonia cycle along too establish good water. I dont remember this happening to our 65 gal.

I would assume that just a simple water change would do the trick?

Any info would help..thanx

I'm no salt expert, but there are (at least) two different bacteria in the nitrogen cycle. One that converts ammonia to nitrite, then another species that converts nitrite into nitrate.

My guess would be that the second bunch are lagging behind.

I'm no salt expert, but there are (at least) two different bacteria in the nitrogen cycle. One that converts ammonia to nitrite, then another species that converts nitrite into nitrate.

My guess would be that the second bunch are lagging behind.

That more or less what is going on. It seems like the nitrite munchers are the easiest to disturb too. It shoudl clear up within a week or so.

Edited by midgetwaiter

• 1 month later...
Why the bump?

I had bumped all topics that were before that spamer idiot came on to the site so that his posts were not the headliners in the forums. I figued that any guests and light browsers did not need to see that first on the site. I see that it has been deleted complettly soooooo..... Un-bump, I guess...? Just trying to be decent was all.