Plants - Help!

RD.

fish252a.jpg

36x18x20 - 54 gallon.

Lighting, twin tube - 1 Powerglo, 1 Aquaglo (so 30W x 2)

The tank is actually much brighter than what it appears to be in the photo above.

Tank inhabitants - 7 rosy barbs, 4 clown loaches, 1 horsehead loach, 2 java loaches, 4 corys, and 1 L017 pleco.

So far, life has been good in this tank, but I would really like to add some greenery to this set up, and I have never kept plants in an aquarium. This is a mature set up, and as you can see I have no problem growing algae. lol

At one time this tank contained tropheus, so I let the algae go wild. My pleco is slowly but surely putting a serious dent in it, so it should be pretty much gone within another week or two.

I was thinking of adding a giant anubia to the bottom corner of the driftwood on the far right hand side of the tank (what's the best way to anchor anubia to driftwood?) but I'm at a loss as to what to add as a medium sized plant in the center/left portion of the tank. I don't want something like vals that will turn the tank into a forest, and I would like to have something as tough as nails, yet still showy. Low maintenance is key, and preferably plants that don't require ferts (at least on a large scale, or C02) and something that my rosy barbs won't mow down to the roots within a few days.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of the Anubias. Go for it! Also, add a nice big Java Fern to the other end of that same piece of wood. You could go with a couple different varieties of JF up the tall wood - some narrow leaf at the bottom, wide leaf (windelov) at the top.

AFIK, nothing really likes either JF or Anubias barteri as a snack.

Thanks Jason, I think I'll start small & work my way up to a jungle of java fern. lol

Nice to know that the fish will leave it alone.

Now the trick may be finding some locally ........

I'm kinda liking the idea of using lava rock for the center plant, thanks for that Aaron.

I can attatch a JF to the rock, slightly submerge the lava to hide it, and I've got a portable JF in case I decide to relocate it down the road, or when cleaning my tank.

Edited by RD.

PM me if you want some JF - I've got a few bigg'uns w. 6-8" leaves that need to be hacked.... Oh yeah, Jonah, PM me too!! Yours is ready to go!

Just came through the door. I am looking at my books right now. I was thinkng about the situation at hand and I remembered A tidbit of information I used to recomend to customers. When you have a fish that loves it's veggies and you want to have plants in the tank, offer a more delectable food. I used things like leaf lettuce, spinach, even broccoli. Just microwave whatever you are going to offer for 5 to 10 second depending weather it is leaf or florettes. Microwaving braks the cellulose down so it is easier for the fish to break down. Just remember, organic matter decomposes very rapidly. So make sure whatever you offer, is taken out at a max of five minutes after it was offered. If at first, the fish don't touch the food offered, just keep offering it, curiosity allways wins over. Once they star to accept the foods offered, they usually leave the plants alone. Stay away from iceberg lettuce, it has no nutritional value whatsoever.

When I am done researching these selections, I'll get back to you.

Thanks, but I stopped feeding veggies years ago. They add too much pollution in the tank for my liking.

Jason (Jvision) has generously offered to supply me with a couple of Java ferns, so it appears that I'll be going that route.

Thanks again for everyones input!

If you ever come across this, it might be worth a try.

Bolbitis heudelotii. Common name: African water fern. It is a relative of Java fern. I haven't seen it for about five years now, but I also haven't been looking. Anyone here know of its ailbility? I used it my tanks years ago. If you can grow Java fern, you can grow African water fern as the requirements are virtually the same.

EDIT: Here are the full specs on Bolbitis.

Bolbitis heudelotii

COMMON NAME: African Water Fern

SYN: None

FAMILY: Lomariopsidaceae

RANGE: Throughout tropical Africa; from Ethiopia to South Africa. This species grows along waterways with its roots submerged.

AQUASCAPE: A background plant that can be used to decorate wood and rocks.

HEIGHT: To 20" (50 cm)

AH: From 20" (50 cm)

WATER: subdued

LIGHT: pH: 5.8-7.5; 2-12 dH; 73-81°F (23-27°C)

SUBSTRATE: None, attach to wood.

P: By cutting the rhizome.

REMARKS: This species prefers water with some current. Once this species reaches 10" (25 cm) in length, it becomes hardy.

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

Thanks Connie, with your stunning red emp male in the middle of the shot, it took me a few minutes to focus in on the plants. B)

If anyone has some 'full tank shots' of their planted tanks, please feel free to post them.