size syndontis cats out of my community tank-of course, I just HAD to do it

with the plants and stuff still in it....those undergravel pipes are a pain in

the BUTT...I did get them all, funny though, its NOT so funny when you're

the one doing the catching :D

Bulldog plecos are a pain in the you-know-what too....they must have

really good radar- as soon as I get within a foot of the tank the brat is

gone....

anyone got any good chase stories?

The toughest that I have ever had to catch was a horse-face loach. They can move through the sand almost as fast as they can through the water - and that is darn fast!

I had to strip the tank, take out most of the sand, then herd the buried loach through the remaining sand with my fingers and into the waiting net at the edge of the sand.

Over an hour....

David

Toughest to finally catch would be a mantis shrimp. There have been cases of people having them in a reef tank for several years before being able to catch them.

Well anything is hard to catch in any tank over 80G's when you're 5'3", especially anything at the bottom. They all become bottom-back dwellers when I'm trying to catch them. Ilyodon Furcidons - been trying to get all of those for a couple of weeks now so I can put the colony up for sale. Right now I'd pay someone to take them if they'd come over & catch them.

Other than that, the fish that has more common names than I have hair elastics - Beaufortia kweichowensis/Butterfly Loach/Chinese Loach/Chinese Butterfly Loach/Hillstream Loach/Spotted Hillstream Loach/Butterfly Pleco/Hong Kong Pleco/DamnLoach! The safest way to catch them being when they fly off the glass to change locations - prying them off is a no-no and next to impossible anyway. You can nudge them with the net, beat their brains out if you're so inclined - they won't move if they're nervous. After 2 days of trying to transfer them to a new spacious tank and finally succeeding, they promptly died on me within a week of moving. They had been fine for over a year where they were and I waited 3 months+ before moving them so the tank would be well established. :grr:

Haven't had them since, but my dream tank is a nice long river tank and I'll get them again then :D . Why? Because I'm a "sucker" for punishment, that's why... duh B) .

Good thread idea :) .

My favorite would be peeling hillstream loaches off the glass with my credit card, always amusing and perfectly safe if you're careful enough.

As far as customers go though

"can you pick individual small male guppies out of this tank with a couple thousand in it"?

No.

"I'd like that ghost shrimp on top of the pile in the back corner under the filter please".

Here's a net, I'll be at the till when you're done.

As far as customers go though

"can you pick individual small male guppies out of this tank with a couple thousand in it"?

No.

You wouldn't last five minutes with me - if I want that Guppy, that's the Guppy I shall have or my money the store won't have. If the fish all look alike and they're all healthy, I let the employee do the scoop, otherwise that's what you're there for - to make me happy. :D However, stores don't pay their employees enough to deal with people like me, I'll admit....lol.

Clown and yoyo loaches are the hardest I dealt with. Even once the yoyo's are caught, trying to get them out of the net is a chore because of the little pointy things they stick out by their eyes. My angel fish on the other hand damn near swim right into the net.

I once had to catch and wrestle a 1 1/2' Plecostomus by hand to get it into a cooler for a customer once. That was one of the hardest that comes to mind. No nets unless you want to surgically remove them from a net :P

Have to admit, my 12" Scarlett gave me a run for the money a couple times. When

I went to pick him up, he was wedged into a log- took a while to get him out and

there was some damage to his fins :cry: Then a few days ago i put him into his

new tank(bigger), and the brat stuck me with his thorns- had to throw a towel

over him to pick him up. Man, they squirm ...

Loaches are definitely among the more difficult to catch. On the other end of the spectrum though, I'd have to say shelldwellers are the easiest to catch. Simply scare them into their shell and pull out the shell. No nets or spoons required.

You wouldn't last five minutes with me - if I want that Guppy, that's the Guppy I shall have or my money the store won't have. If the fish all look alike and they're all healthy, I let the employee do the scoop, otherwise that's what you're there for - to make me happy. :D However, stores don't pay their employees enough to deal with people like me, I'll admit....lol.

Have you every really asked someone to sex 1cm feeder guppies and then net that particular one out of a 30 gal tank with a thousand other guppies in it? Really? While god knows how many other customers are waiting? Seriously?

I don't say this often but in this case, you can keep your 20 cents. -roll-