Making my own rock?

Mighty Prawn

I've read a lot lot lot lot lot of stuff on people making their own live-rock and calling it agrocrete. However, I've never really read much of anything about its use in a freshwater tank. I'm very interested in making my own rock for use in a freshwater aquarium.

Has anyone done it themselves?

Anyone know enough about this agrocrete substance to tell me if it would be safe in freshwater?

I'd be making some cave like pieces mostly, and I'd like to be able to make them as smooth as possible.

I've heard that using concrete mixed with sand is decent, but has to cure for months and months and months in constant fresh water changes. That's something I won't be able to commit to due to school unfortunately. I don't mind if it's curing for about a month or so.

Anyone?

Either way, I'll be documenting my process with photos and a write up for a DIY post I'll make.

-Hideo

probably not so good

That's what a lot of people have done. Just make sure you glue it down, or your rocks will be floating around the tank!

Hahaha, that would actually be kind of funny!

I guess I'll still do a photo write up for it, but it doesn't seem as cool as agrocrete. Ah well! Good thing I asked ;-)

-Hideo

• 1 month later...

You could also coat Your rocks in two part epoxy resin, then You could still see the agrocrete. I have also covered styrofoam with resin. It is quite a bit cheaper than most potable water tank paints and both get You very buzzed so good ventillation is a must. West systems is nice to use and really strong yet flexible.