New Set Up

tigerbarb

I have a 14 gallon hex in my office that I'm looking to fill. Since it's tall I'm wanting to have fish that predominately occupy the three different zones. I'ld like to go with some German Blue Rams as the main fish (by the way, anyone know where I can find some?) and I'm thinking of a couple/three corys of some kind for the bottom...a betta for the middle/top but I'm wondering about compatibility? Maybe some guppies? Any suggestions?

I used to have a pair of rams in my 15g planted tank. I had them in with 6 cardinal tetras and some algea shrimp and it made for a beautiful tank.

I wouldn't recommend a betta with the rams as they can be territorial and would probably nip at its fins.

NOt sure how cories will fair with the rams in a small tank. Rams occupy the bottom zone and can be pretty territorial. I dont' know if they would like other bottom dwellers in their space. MIne used to hate the BN pleco that was in with them. They would constantly chase it whenever it came out of hiding. MIne didn't seem to care about the shrimp I added after i removed the BN pleco.

Some good top swimming tankmates would be smaller tetras or other community fish like rasboras, or endlers. Fish that stay smaller as a 15g doesn't allow for too many fish.

I would go with tetras such as cardinal or rummy nose rather than guppies because rams like it warm and guppies prefer cooler tanks. As for the betta...I would leave him out as I have experimented with rams/bettas and they never get along! Bettas chase the rams constantly. I guess it's the colors! Green eye rasboras stay small and are a great schooling fish if you can find them, they also stay in the upper region of the tank and are constantly on the move.

Hope this helps!

Tammy :D

Thanks!

I like the smaller hex tank in my office, but it's a struggle to balance the look of it. Since it's so much taller than it is wide I would like to have fish that move throughout all levels. I didn't realize Rams were predominately bottom dwellers so that's helpful.

What about angels and rams? I know I'ld have to have smaller angels and then as they grew I would eventually have to move them to a smaller tank, but for the time being would angels and rams 'peacefully' co-exist?

I had rams and angels together for quite a while w. no problems at all. They're great! Both spp. are intelegent, and come from the same place (in the wild). Maybe add some hatchets or killies for the top layer.