Leaching Wood

FishBrain

So I now have this fantastic root system from a plum tree and it has been siting in weather for about 3 monthes. I have it sitting in a bucket of water now and am watching it leach big time! Is there a way I can get it to leach out fast or do I have to wait and wait?

Figure it should take more than one good boil tho?

It's really all trial & error. Boiling it will bring out a lot of the tannins. Might be enough for you, might not - you'll just have to keep at it 'til you get it right.

If you're keeping SA fish - or other soft-water, that love acidic conditions, you might want to let it leach in the tank a bit.

I have seen some gorgeous Discus tanks that had almost tea-color water. Cardinal and Rummy-nose tetras look quite stunning in that kind of water, too.

Edited by jvision

Well I must say Thanks to Finaddict for the pot. It is a pickling? pot and can fit a ton.

Now my wife wont beat me for using her good ones

I have been using it for everything

ok so it looks like I will start boiling this weekend, and continue to let it soak with fresh water daily until then

Thanks everyone.!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been boiling the heck out of this thing and still the colour of the water after 4 hours of boiling is like coffee!

It has now been boiled 7 times and well it is a little lighter than at first I think I have alot of work to do still!

the root just looks to good to throw away!