Hornwort....

Becky

Hornwort needs certain conditions to grow well. I don't remember what they needed off hand, but I do remember when it'd grow like crap - leaves dropping, etc. I tried a few things and it picked up - looked a lot better.... it grew like a weed when I was dosing EI w. lots of CO2 - but, then again, so did everything else!

How do you get it to grow without loosing its leaves?

I dunno, I have 4 large sections that are poofy green and very nice and 1 that is losing leaves . I've got the seachem three in there (flourish/excel/iron). The ones that are doing best are right under the lights so I would guess the light level is key.

Bright light is essential as it does best in outdoor ponds in full sun. Because of it's gregarious nature in optimal conditions, it requires a fair amount of nutrients. This plpant is key in algae control in both indoor and outdoor setups as it does two things. One, it creates shade and prevents sunlight and or broad spectrum light from penetrating too far so that algae has minimal light to photosynthesize. Two, it absorbs mass amounts of nutrients, especially phosphates and iron. Again, this reduces the nutrients that the algae (and other plants) would utilize and grow on.

I had it growing quite well once. It was rooted, and grew right out of the tank - kind of like Tanker's Templeplant! At least 3' long - out of the water - but no flower. :(