Algae

Fishnut

Does anyone have suggestions for green algae in a cichlid aquariums. My problem is not big but I don't know what I can put in my tanks to look after this. Is anything compatible. 1 mbuna tank and 1 s/a tank.

Thanks,

Cindy

depending on how big your tank is, plecos work well. if its a tank under 75 gallons you may want to look at a bristlenose pleco. they do a better job on algae then the regular ones and only grow about 6 inches max. where as the regular ones get 12" or larger. i'd say they would work better in the s/a tank as long as you don't have anything too crazy in there. in both cases, lots of hiding places would be great. plecos are generally nocturnal, as they get more comfortable in your tank they start coming out. the cichlids may pick on the pleco, but in most cases it works out.

I have Bristlenose plecos in all my tanks(malawi, tang, community) and they do a great job at keeping the algae away.

Sometimes africans can be rather aggressive and if you have a perticular mean fish it might pick on the pleco but i've found that my africans have never shown any interest in the plecos. IF yours do, you can always just make some hiding spots that are only big enough for the pleco. Somewhere the pleco can get away without the africans being able to reach him. Also adult BN plecos are quite capable of defending themselves if they need to.

When it comes to algae control BN plecos are definately the best choice.

BN definitely do a great job on green and brown algae, but some peacocks and mbuna do for some reason develope a taste for them. I have lost both the BN and the common plecos and they have been in the tanks for sometimes a year or more and then all of a sudden for no apparent reason they get attacked and eaten. These are not necessarily small ones either. I have seen them polish off an 8 or 10" common pleco and found nothing in the tank but the skull and fin bones. I have no idea how they could possibly eat through that tough skin, so don't let anyone tell you they don't have sharp teeth. I have BN in all my grow out tanks and definitely no algae problem AND they don't get eaten as long as the fry aren't bigger than 2-2 1/2". I have found that the commons seem to not do such an effective job after they get to 6 or 7" - seem more interested in the cichlid food than algae. I have never tried them, but I have heard that rubber plecos are good at algae removal too. I'm sure that there are many other varieties that would do a decent job as well, but I won't take the chance of them ending up on the menu.

There have been several posts on snails doing a pretty good job on algae as well. Just make sure you don't have snail eaters like oscars, clown loaches, etc. There are a vast array of types and colors to choose from too.

I had a male BN in w. my Mbuna for a while. If I tossed in a sinking wafer, the cichlids would pick at it 'til the plec came out. Then he'd chase them all away w. his cheek 'blades' out.