midas

ÐÉÅÑ

how about 8"? remember there are other factors to consider that will determine the final size of the m/rd.

tank size, water changes, diet, genetics, etc..

you should get a male though for your 90. i would lol

my non-hobby friends always comment how they've never seen a fish as owner responsive as my solo midas. it blows their minds lol

well 10" is listed at sites like fishbase and such, so i think 12" is attainable. might not be the norm though.

mines closer to 9" now and i bought him last sept at maybe 2". he's currently thickening up with little stretch growth the last couple of months, so i imagine the initial growth sprint is over.

i'm sure i've read about and seen pics of some monsters pushing 15-16" out there, but those must be the combination of excellent experience and setup, sprinkled with some luck lol

90g

hope so, cause mine could possibly remain the rest of his life in my 75g. which seems to be a very popular minimum tanksize recommended online at certain forums. i could get him into something larger soon but i think i want to keep him solo just for the 'wet pet' interaction alone.

as a rule whenever i've bought cichlids, i've always made sure to get the 'alpha' fish. look for the biggest, most colorful, aggressive fish in the tank. make sure that this is the one you take home. good chance this will wind up a male if the fish are not sexable yet. longer pointed fins can also be a good male clue, generally.

check out this thread http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=9454&hl=. very accurate link in there.

venting is bonafide once the fish has matured.

you seem like a very responsible person. but i wouldn't hesitate with that set-up.

not at all. my decision was strictly based on looks.

many new world cichlids, especially the larger ones, will hella interact with you when kept solo.

they can even be trained the odd parlour trick or two.

if i had your 90g to stock i would probably throw a male trimac in there. he'd make a great wet pet.

as i'm sure a jag, oscar, synspilum, etc.. would too.

natural small pebbles with black latex paint painted on the back of the tank (ouside)

with an aquarium/plant bulb from canadian tire and an aquaglow.

black gravel and tms have been used in past setups. the result was a very deep orange color throughout.

bare bottom and target playsand (current) setups have resulted in a cream belly blending up into a much brighter orange top. a very noticeable difference between the two.

his next move will involve either a black barebottom or tms again.

i have painted the back black on most of the tanks i've owned less than 50g. very nice