midas

ÐÉÅÑ

I would imagine that they would like to pick up a big mouthfull of gravel and spit it out all over the place, but i don't think it would matter to much.

I use TMS in some of my tanks, but i want to switch over to a more natural colored gravel, and i have in my 165g.

I like the look of sand, but i find it is easier to clean the gravel.

I don't have the patience to hold the siphon over the sand to pick up all the nasties, and not to suck up the sand itself.

yes or they will go crazy, they love to dig and if you dont have a substrate they will always see that other midas who wants to infringe on their territory

yes or they will go crazy, they love to dig and if you dont have a substrate they will always see that other midas who wants to infringe on their territory

agree totally. first mistake i made with a barebottom tank was allowing him to see his reflection on the bottom. kinda wild watching him cruise the bottom sideways and flaring though lol. looked way too similar to flashing.

if my midas was to find his way into another barebottom setup, i would paint/make the bottom of the tank black so the reflection shouldn't appear as attackable to him.

in hindsight now, i totally miss the looks and sounds of him tossing gravel all over the place. positive he preferred it. not that he can't move sand like gravel. it's just that sand spitting's lame in comparison, and i'm sure he's snorting and swallowing granules at the same time.

• 1 month later...

Its been my experiance that female can get just as large as the males. my last pair were both pushing 13"

the male in my avatar is at least that. I will always have at least 1 midas in my collection as they are on of the most owner responsive fish I have ever kept. A 90 is fine for life my male is in a breeder 50 36x18x18

with a gravel bottom that he loves to play with.

hope this helps