Eheim Canister Leaking

Vallisneria

Hey, So this morning I checked my tanks only to find that 2" of water had drained out of my 56g. Yesterday I cleaned it and cleaned out my ehiem canister filter too. When I was setting up the canister again I noticed a bit of a air squeeling sounds when it started back up(not just the regular air wooshing noises) but it soon went quiet and was running normally. This morning I come to find that it was leaking all night and made a lovely mess of my hardwood.

Today I've been fiddling with it for over an hour and still can't get it working right. I think I've narrowed it down to where the hoses connect at the top of the filter. The lid is filling up with water because the hoses aren't sealing right. I can also hear a high pitched air leak coming from there when I try to prime the filter. The filter box will also only fill to about 1" from the top, so there is a air gap/leak.

I've tried take out and putting back the hoses a few times and it does nothing. Even pressing on the hose connection doesn't stop the air leak(the squealy air noise its making). And as soon as I turn the hoses on the lid fills up with water and leaks out. I've checked the seals and the O rings look ok, still soft and clean.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try. I'm about ready to smash this stupid filter. I had something similar happen to my Xp3. Thats why I got rid of that one and bought this Eheim as it wasn't supposed to happen with Eheims. :cuss: Anyway to get the hose connection to seal better?

The only time that happened to my last one was that it was cracked. Any chance you dropped the housing and it cracked? If that's the case, you'll need some Weldon or similar solvent to fix it.

No, I checked for cracks and everything looks good. Haven't dropped it and I'm super careful when cleaning and taking it apart. The part where the hoses connect to the connector piece looks good too, they are sealed onto it pretty good. I'm thinking the part thats causing the leak is the connector piece that fits into the lid. Water fills up in there and goes into the lid part When I flick the switch to turn the hoses on.

Well I set the tank up with a AC70 filter for the time being. I looked everything over with a flashlight and didn't see any cracks and the rings all look ok. One thing I did notice was there is a little floaty impeller looking thing thats in the lid(in the out hose hole) that was pretty crusty. I removed it with tweezers and have it soaking to clean it up. Not sure what it does but at least it will be clean now.

No, So far I haven't had any issues with the hose connector. It unclips fine and has always clipped back in fine too. I googled a little bit and it looks like the 2071/73/75 do have some leaking issues. I saw a couple posts talking about unscrewing the lid and cleaning the pump and that that helped. Not sure if I have a screw driver that will work with the weird screws tho.

I might try contacting Eheim as it seems leaking in the lid is a known problem and lots of the posts said Eheim sent replacement parts. I"ll keep trying to fix it. At least my tank has a new filter on it so I'm not as worried about my fish but I can't say the same for the floor. Hopefully the hardwood isn't ruined under my stand :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally heard back from Eheim support. They are going to send me a new pump primer seal as that could be where its leaking from since the water is filling up the lid. I guess we'll have to see if that fixes it.

I've been following your progress Valerie. I'm an Eheim Classic guy, so I don't know much about the anatomy of the Pro lines. But I do know that the smallest cut or nick or dimple in an O ring is enough to permit a leak. The mechanics of reinsertion is enough to flatten the round profile of an O ring over time too.

Probably nothing new here - Happy O rings need lube and a clean (grit-free) sealing surface. Wetting the seals and cleaning the seal seats before reassembly is always a good practice.

Maybe you already have your replacement seal in place and all is well by now...

another trick with o-rings is if you put a little bit of plumbers lube on it it will help the o-rings go into possion with out damaging them, same stuff used to lube your tap valve seals, safe for fish as well, I use it to lube all my AC filter shafts, and motor seals on the housings, never had one fail yet.

Score! So the mailman delivered my Eheim replacement parts today and they sent a whole new lid/motor! I thought they'd just be sending the primer pump seal piece inside the lid but its a completely new motor.

Sweet, I guess it pays to contact the companies :thumbs: