P. pulcher acting weird??

BigA

Hi, I've got 2 kribs which I purchased about a week ago. 1 male, 1 female. As of today, they are acting strange. female is mostly staying in a skull they like to hide in. male is darting in and out and kinda just floating at the entrance. water stats are ph 7.6, ammo 0ppg, nitrite 0ppg, nitrate 5ppm. Are they breeding? I don't think I have a prob with the water as everything looks good. Anyone have an insight on what is going on and if anything is wrong???

They are either breeding or getting ready to. The female is the nest guardian and the male is typically the area guardian. He will make frequent trips to check in on her. I have had males bring food to the female as well and spit it into the cave. I have also had wild P.Pulchers that the female buried herself in the cave and didn't open the doorway till the young fry started spinning out of the cave. Kribensis are awesome parents yet prone to mistakes in the beginning. Eating eggs, eating fry, etc... but they mature and grow out of this. Even if they fail, keep letting them do what they do, in most cases they can raise fry better than we ever could. Good luck and enjoy. How big are the fish? If the fish are truly spawning You should notice a deeper color, in the females belly and the males orange. Get ready for fun once the fry are ready to swim around. That male should be teaching a few fish in Your tank a valuable lesson. If You have nocturnal fish, leaving a night light on beside or close to the tank should let the parents quickly react to intruders. A catfish can clear a nest out in just a few minutes in the dark.

They are either breeding or getting ready to. The female is the nest guardian and the male is typically the area guardian. He will make frequent trips to check in on her. I have had males bring food to the female as well and spit it into the cave. I have also had wild P.Pulchers that the female buried herself in the cave and didn't open the doorway till the young fry started spinning out of the cave. Kribensis are awesome parents yet prone to mistakes in the beginning. Eating eggs, eating fry, etc... but they mature and grow out of this. Even if they fail, keep letting them do what they do, in most cases they can raise fry better than we ever could. Good luck and enjoy. How big are the fish? If the fish are truly spawning You should notice a deeper color, in the females belly and the males orange. Get ready for fun once the fry are ready to swim around. That male should be teaching a few fish in Your tank a valuable lesson. If You have nocturnal fish, leaving a night light on beside or close to the tank should let the parents quickly react to intruders. A catfish can clear a nest out in just a few minutes in the dark.

The males is about 2" and the female about 1.5" have noticed any major colour changes yet but will keep an eye on it and fill you in if anything happens.

You'll have to get more of a look at the female, the males often change to a more dull inconspicuous color except for the orange it gets brighter and you may not notice the change. Your fish seem a slight bit on the small side but it is still possible. By day 7 You should have a good clue as she will likely come out. Quite often even a domestic dispute between the two can create this hiding effect. Reaching in and lifting the cave generally doesn't bother kribs, just be slow so if wrigglers are on the cave roof they don't scatter. She may even give You a shot or two. If they did eat their fry they would go again in about a month anyways. Or do it natures way and just wait. How many days has she been hiding now?

Ok. to go along with this now, yesterday I found one of my swords in the tank dead. The tail of the fish had been torn apart. Now one of the platys is still alive, but has had its tail torn apart. I've seen the cichlids chasing the livebearers a little, but not sure if its enough to cause this. water levels are all good, bi weekly water changes of 1/4 of the tank. Are they the cause of this or could it be something else?

Edited by BigA

Definately sounds like they have paired up and haave little ones. They will attack any other fish in the tank that gets into their area. You will need to move the others or put up a barrier. Other than that survival of the swords will depend on them learning really fast where not to go.