Use of GFCI

jimmyhg

I have my Alta. electrical code book somewhere but 8 devices which includes lights outlets switches etc. seems to ring a bell which of course would be one of the 8.

You may be refering to circuiting loading which is typically 12 outlets (1A/oulet) on a 15A breaker unless the load in known (switches not included as there is no load from a switch).

I did a quick look thru the CEC and could not find a limit on the number of receptacles that a GFI protects therefore it is limited by the CEC circuiting loading. There may be a spec from the manufacture perhaps.

Edited by ronrca

I have my Alta. electrical code book somewhere but 8 devices which includes lights outlets switches etc. seems to ring a bell which of course would be one of the 8.

You may be refering to circuiting loading which is typically 12 outlets (1A/oulet) on a 15A breaker unless the load in known (switches not included as there is no load from a switch).

I did a quick look thru the CEC and could not find a limit on the number of receptacles that a GFI protects therefore it is limited by the CEC circuiting loading. There may be a spec from the manufacture perhaps.

Like he said and there is no load on a switch.

• 4 weeks later...
You can also get breakers that are GFI protected. It would be great for multiple tanks that run on the same circuit . Cost is considerabley more than a regular breaker, but a small price to pay for a possible freak accident

The big problem with this is if one item trips the gfi everything shuts down

My house it only two wire, it is 100 Amp copper will a GFI plug still work on with no ground. If so I think I will put them on all my tanks, I have little hands around here I don't want them to get in a tank with live electricity in it.

Brad

My house it only two wire, it is 100 Amp copper will a GFI plug still work on with no ground.

It works. It's also highly recommended for ungrounded systems as you don't have the benefit of bonding. The only hurdle is the cost.

Edited by Wibber