What do you do with a hybrid

lukep77

I was reading another post in another section and there was a comment made that got me thinking.

I dont want to post were it was or by who, I dont want to point fingers or get any one mad, but here it is, "or worse yet....a hybrid."

Why the strong back lash against hybrid's?

Iam sure every one keeps fish that will inter breed, so what I also wanted to know is what do you do when it happens?

I mean ususualy the fish created by mixing will not will not be able to have more fry, so what Iam trying to understand is whats the big deal.

Hybrids are a big deal in the hobby not the fish themselves but the breeders who produce them either on purpose or accident and pass them off as purebred.If someone wants a particular kind of fish they should get exactly what they pay for.

Hybrids are a big deal in the hobby not the fish themselves but the breeders who produce them either on purpose or accident and pass them off as purebred.If someone wants a particular kind of fish they should get exactly what they pay for.

What do you do with a hybrid??? Might take some time to load...

http://media.putfile.com/hybrid

:smokey:

Iam sure every one keeps fish that will inter breed, so what I also wanted to know is what do you do when it happens?

It never happens to me. A responsible aquarist does not keep species with the potential to hybridize together in the same tank. If it ever did? I'd cull the fry immediately.

I mean ususualy the fish created by mixing will not will not be able to have more fry

That's not correct. I have no idea why this myth that all hybrids are sterile keeps getting propagated.

Iam sorry I think I missed the point of the video.

I didint know that hybrid's could continue breeding. I always thought that once you a species mixes that the offspring would not be able to have any more.

I didint know oscar's were hybrids.

So basicly if a breeder were to say this is a mix of this fish with this fish it would be ok.

Iam sorry I think I missed the point of the video.

That fish is eating a hybrid. That's the answer to your question.

I didint know that hybrid's could continue breeding. I always thought that once you a species mixes that the offspring would not be able to have any more.

I didint know oscar's were hybrids.

Oscars aren't hybrids -- they eat hybrids.

So basicly if a breeder were to say this is a mix of this fish with this fish it would be ok.

The problem is that the more people who have hybrids the more likely it is that someone isn't going to mention it or remember that their fish is one when it breeds.

I always wondered why fish keepers are so uppity about hybrid fish, while dog people seem to try their best to come up with the next most deadly or unhealthy hybrid breed possible.

-Hideo

The part about hybrids I am leary about is that they get sold as purebred and not a hybrid. I would not want to by a young fry or sub adult and find out it is a hybrid and will not look or act as I had planned.

I want what I pay for and expect.

"hybrid" is not always used to refer to totally different fish that like to be naughty together... the term can also refer to a fish who's parents are the same breed, just different variants. I for one have had 'yellow tail' and 'zambian black' Ps. acei in the same tank,a nd ya.. they bred... a LOT. So all the fry that came out of that tank were um... utilized in another tank.

This is absolutely NO different that letting your momma cichlid spit her fry in the 'main tank'. Either way, it's survival of the fittest, and I am actually happy to report that out of the well over 500 fry I have moved to the snakehead tank, two of them had actually grown up enough to where they were no longer in threat of being lunch from said snakehead.

They instead went to the crayfish tank... and Darwin ate his hat, that day.

I always wondered why fish keepers are so uppity about hybrid fish, while dog people seem to try their best to come up with the next most deadly or unhealthy hybrid breed possible.

-Hideo

Mentioned a million times before and will be again, I'm sure, but....

Probably because all dogs are the same species.