Silicone

JORG

I have a small crack to repair near the top of a 90 gal tank .Is there any problem with G.E silicone II it's 100%silicone and has no fungicide it's supposed to be their best ?

Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton only uses G.E. 1200

I'm not sure but Aquarium Illusions sold me some for $16 a tube, which is a little pricy, however at least it works.

I don't think it is that silicone11 is not for use with aquariums, it is just that it is for windows and door application and so must be labelled that it is not reccomended for usage that would invole something live.

That is what the GE rep told me anyway

Jorg, hats off to ya man... I couldn't imagine having to do water runs! You are one dedicated aquarium enthusiast.

Been there done that. I've been doing water runs almost daily for 5 months!

don't think it is that silicone11 is not for use with aquariums, it is just that it is for windows and door application and so must be labelled that it is not reccomended for usage that would invole something live.

Some of the household silicones have anti mildew agents and other additives that are toxic to fish.

That is what the GE rep told me anyway

Ask him where he got his info from, I went on the Dow Corning site and went through technical suport, and they said none of their product was rated aquarium safe.

Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton only uses G.E. 1200

A.I. = Concept Aquariums

I'm not sure but Aquarium Illusions sold me some for $16 a tube, which is a little pricy, however at least it works.

That is pricey...you can get it from Calgary Fasteners or CR Lawrence here in Calgary for about $6-$7/tube...I would imagine that Edmonton must have a similar dealer.

In Edmonton, the store right next to Aquagiant (sorry can't think of the name right now) , has Nuflez Aquarium sealant 333, for 6.00 a tube. It is recommended for aquariums 400l or less though(100gal). I will inquire if they would bring in the GE stuff if it would be recommended for all sizes larger than that.

....Cascade I believe.

Edited by Qattarra