Dunl's Fishroom

dunl

No pics yet, sorry for the tease. And don't expect anything really special here - we simply have an extra room that I am moving all the tanks in the house into. At one point I had about 15 tanks running, then I was down to 2 saltwater only. Then three saltwater.....now four....plus two empty 75's, a 50, 3 empty cubes of various sizes, and an extra room. You do the math. :lol:

I will also be housing the geckos in there. I think I have found a male for my female gecko and the one that Ellie is gifting to me...they'll have a 40" 90g to themselves. Hopefully a gecko paradise.

I'll post some pics as I go along...will be slow I'm sure, and like I said, nothing really special. :)

Edited by dunl

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to seeing your pics and progress, and I hope your geckos are happy together.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

I will also be housing the geckos in there. I think I have found a male for my female gecko and the one that Ellie is gifting to me...they'll have a 40" 90g to themselves. Hopefully a gecko paradise.

Like I said, it will be slow going. I've been getting home usually around 8:30 at night and have three kids to give attention to as well. The geckos have arrived, and are currently checking each other out (all three have been in solitary confinement for the past couple of years).

Thanks to Ellie (Ellie_A) and Kelly (sharuq1) for the female and male geckos. I think Gollum is less than thrilled right now having the place invaded by intruders, but she'll eventually warm up.

And Ellie, as for yours being skittish, she sat quietly on my father-in-law's hand while I went to get the otherone from Kelly - didn't move a muscle.

Very nice, both of you thanks so much. I will be getting their 90 all groomed, complete with live plants and hopefully something that looks natural for housing. It can be done if time is taken to do it right.

Nice thing is the two little ones are going to wake up and find two new geckos in the tank, not knowing they were coming. :D

Nice thing is the two little ones are going to wake up and find two new geckos in the tank, not knowing they were coming.

That sounds exciting for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Yup, the kids were excited. Best part was my boy finding we had "one more gecko", and then the look on his face when I told him he better look harder than that. :lol: So far, so good there, except my wife, who doesn't like reptiles, is pondering keeping them upstairs where they are.

Anyway, on to the room. Computer was moved out after 5 years of being in there. The walls have already been painted a nice manly colour (and not completely finished), as I was initially planning to turn it into a office/study with some dark red leather furniture, etc. And I'm not painting it again. :lol:

Been down with the flu this week, but here's some updates.

Picture 1: Nothing but crap, monkey wrench, sliding compound saw, and an old computer monitor left on the floor. You can see part of the desk in front of the 75g oak stand.

eb80f6f5.jpg

Picture 2: View number 2 of the same thing, in the door and looking right towards the closet.

eb80f6f3.jpg

Picture 3:View number 3 of the same thing, looking back out the door. Note the gratuitous crap lying everywhere (remember I said it used to be computer/storage.

eb80f6f4.jpg

Picture #4: A dirty 75g is now on the stand. Notice that there is still crap on the floor, and a cube tank (all lonely)has suddenly made an appearance and decided to join the 75 in the room. Computer desk remnants have also left the building.

eb80f6f6.jpg

Picture #5: She cleans up pretty, don't she?

eb80f613.jpg

Picture #6: Let's get her filled! (Hey! Is that a 20g I see on the floor? :unsure: You know what they say about cichlids....no matter how much they breed, the tanks always seem to breed as well and catch up with them. :lol: )

eb80f607.jpg

Picture #7: A full saltwater 75. Lovely sight, isn't it?

eb80f5fc.jpg

Picture #8: Another 75g stand has entered the picture. Crap on the floor now consists totally of fish stuff. Cube tank has forgone its puppy love dreams for the 75g and returned to reality, instead mating with the 20g (you can see she's pregnant with a healthy little 10g if you look close).

eb80f5f0.jpg

Picture #9: A problem. This 75 doesn't fit on this stand. Originally the two tanks were on the opposite stands, but I forgot about that part, as the second tank is shorter but wider. Hmmmm.....need to figure a solution, and I'm not comfortable with 1/8" hanging over both sides.....

eb80f542.jpg

Stay tuned.

Picture #9: A problem. This 75 doesn't fit on this stand. Originally the two tanks were on the opposite stands, but I forgot about that part, as the second tank is shorter but wider. Hmmmm.....need to figure a solution, and I'm not comfortable with 1/8" hanging over both sides.....

You could use a piece of mdf or plywood cut to size and painted black as a kiss solution.

You could use a piece of mdf or plywood cut to size and painted black as a kiss solution.

I could...but seeing as I know the tank that is full fits the black stand, and the other will fit the oak stand comfortably with room to spare (was a short 120 stand, you can't see the overhang on the back through the black background), I'm currently in the process of transferring the tanks.

1 - empty goes on floor

2 - full 75 gets emptied into the tank on the floor

3 - move the 75 to the black stand

4 - pump and refill

5 - put the tank on the floor up to oak stand and fill.

I'll be done in an hour, much less time than to cut and paint MDF, although I will keep that idea in mind in the future. :bow:

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted :thumbs:

Well, it's been busy, and not necessarily in the fish room. Unfortunately the camera died on me, and due to renovations I haven't been able to find the charger for it yet.

So looking back, the last thing I posted was to switch the 75 gallon tanks on their stands, and refill the one I had full.

Since then, I have put in a double stand for a 20g mantis tank on the top, and a 25g firemouth/white cloud minnow tank. I love having the mantis tank on the top, as he comes to the entrance of his cave and watches me work in there the whole time I am in the room.

Today was a busy day, as I dismantled the 54g bowfront from the living room. Why? Well, it was a corner tank, located in the corner made by the outside wall and the dividing wall between the kitchen and living room.

We removed the wall between the two rooms today, so that means there wouldn't be a corner there anymore for the tank. It will be going downstairs in the living room down there when we get the flooring relaid. Also gives me time to redo the plumbing on it, as it is an EXTREMELY noisy tank (you can hear ot from another floor in the house).

The contents of the tank went into the two 75's, and also the spare 55g I had out in the garage, as I took the opportunity to do a water change and rock relocation/redivision project. I now have to full 75g salt tanks, and a 55g that is half full of salt waiting for stock and keeping some live rock going.

Most of the fish went into the 75 on the black stand, and the moray eel and one blue damsel went into the 75 on the oak stand. Nothing in the 55g - yet. :hey:

I need to build a rack for the 55g....good thing I have plenty of 2x4's from the wall that was removed today. In fact, I have lots of 2x4's for building lots of racking in the room.

Tomorrow, I'm off to buy some new inhabitants for my salt tanks....at least one predator for the eel tank, one invert, and one bottm feeder. You'll have to stay tuned to see what I come home with.

Edited by dunl

• 3 weeks later...

So Darcy any updates on your fishroom? You kind of left us hanging.