Fish Room

snaggle

I was thinking that I see alot of broken tanks at Big Al's, I was thinking about buying some of those tanks if the prices is right. I want to replace the broken glass and use them for a fish room.

Also what kind of cheep sand can I buy, can I just use sand bags.

If I want to get something other that sand can I use rock chips.

I want to breed Cichlids, Discus, guppys, mollies, bettas, gourami and eventaly try corydoras, tetras and Plecos.

What should I use for fillters, I was thinking about using AC minis on the adult tanks, and under gravle and/or sponge fillters on the fry tanks.

Would it be bad to drill in over flows and do 4 diferent systems.

Brad

You have some good ideas. Target Play Sand is great for tanks - I've used it for just about every fish you mentioned there, and no problems. It's available at Home Depot for $5/50lbs - or something close to that.

I've bread just about everything on your list, and have found that it's possible with normal tap water - the discus may need some help (ie RO).

As far as filtration, either air-driven powerhead sponges work great for everything. I know some people who have great success with UG filters, too. I used to use them exclusively, but I've become a little more impulsive and change my tanks out often - not necessarily the best for UGs.

If possible, I'd recommend insulating your room (walls & ceiling), and use a small space heater to keep things warm. I've found that it's quite a bit cheeper than heating each tank separately.

Have fun! :thumbs:

If I want to get something other that sand can I use rock chips.

i use sidewalk gravel, the stuff you spread instead of icemelt? :D takes a LOT of rinsing, and you need to know if it has been treated but works great

I want to breed Cichlids, Discus, guppys, mollies, bettas, gourami and eventaly try corydoras, tetras and Plecos.

okay, you are planning on breeding DISCUS before of corys? man, talk about a hard thing to start with!

okay, you are planning on breeding DISCUS before of corys? man, talk about a hard thing to start with!

I have kept discus in the past and had good success with them. I even had two pair up but was too young to know what to do at the time.

Brad

While the Target play sand is reasonably good (I have used it in the past myself), I have converted (totally) to sandblasting sand. You can get it in various hardnesses (which translates into colors) and it is pregraded (sifted) to particles of a resonably consistent size. Just make sure you use a garnet or quartz and not a slag of some form.

I pay $8 for 40 kg at one of our local suppliers.

Good luck!

David