submersable heater? or not?

uwish

I have noticed that every heater I have bought has a "water" line that says do not submerse beyond, yet on the box it says fully submersible.

I just bought a new 250W Jaber heater with the same comments. It specifically says in the inserted instructions do NOT submerse beyond the water line, yet on the box itself it says fully submersible. I had another Jaber before this that I totally submerged but after 1.3 years I noticed some condensation on the inside of the heater, hence I bought another one.

I know everyone does it, I see these heaters totally submerged underwater but yet the instructions say not to. Is this just to "cover" their bacon in case of a short? I really don't like my heater sticking out of the top of my 90 Gal...looks somewhat foolish.

Thoughts?

They are submersible. I believe they have to put the water line thing because of regulations or something(someone should be able to come along and explain this part).

I had another Jaber before this that I totally submerged but after 1.3 years I noticed some condensation on the inside of the heater, hence I bought another one.

I have this problem with some of my Jager heater also and I emailed the company. They said the condensation isn't water, that it is oil used in the heater and that it doesn't mean the seal of your heater is broken and is perfectly safe to keep using.

As far as I know it is a "CYA" for the manufacturer

exactly what I suspected, so my original heater is still fine, that is internal oil? Why would there be any oil in these things?

exactly what I suspected, so my original heater is still fine, that is internal oil? Why would there be any oil in these things?

I can't remember the exact response I got from the company and I dont' have the email anymore. BUt basically they said it was some type of oil and that it was fine and not to worry. Maybe try emailing them yourself.

I couldn't find the email but I tracked down an old thread I posted in about it.

http://www.aquariumboard.com/forums/genera...er+condensation

Dear Valerie,

The condensation you see inside the EHEIM JAGERS heaters is due to special lubrication oil used during assembly. If the heater was to catch water or humidity, the entire element wouldn’t be functioning and will show sings of rust.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further assistance.

Every heater I've looked at has the line marked something like "minimum water level". The heater is to be submersed at least until that line if not all the way. It must be submersed to that line or further to ensure it doesn't overheat.

It is also there so that the glass does not get too much temperature differential and break or explode.

I have one heater that has the "minimum water level" line on it, which I have fully submerged in my 55g. The heater that is in my 10g has a "maximum water level" line on it, and both the box and the instructions said not to fully submerge it. So who knows?