Planaria

I just noticed some tiny little worms in my 10g shrimp tank. I assume they are planaria, although i've never dealt with them before(just going by pics). There wasn't too many of them but I was wondering what if anything I need to do. Are they harmful? Will they affect my shrimp or plants?

From reading on the internet it seem they happen in tank that have excess food for the planaria to eat. This makes sense in my shrimp tank as I haven't been gravel cleaning it too much as I end up sucking up tiny baby shrimps.

So, what do I do? Nothing as the planaria are harmless or try to clean the tank as much as possible hoping not to suck up shrimp?

I wouldn't worry too much about them - just feed a little less, and they'll likely disappear.

Does anyone have any tips on how I should vacume the bottom(bare bottom) without sucking up the spuer tiny shrimp babies? Right now when I gravel vac I try to becareful and then when dupming out the water I strain it through a fine fish net to catch any babies I sucked up. This works but it takes a long time. I dont' like thinking i'm throwing baby shrimps down the drain with each water change.

I've also tried only doing a water change with no vacuming. This worked but the shrimp poop accumulates very quickly and if i dont' suck it out there is big piles after a week or so.

How about vacuuming the babies int a bucket first and putting them back after cleaning.

there is a zillion babies that range in size from barely visable to 2-3mm. They are also all mixed into the crud i'm trying to vacume out and the plants. So removing the babies isn't an option.

I guess the careful vacuming and straining is so far working. I guess i'll keep up with that.

When I do my piranha fry tank.. only about half a zillion... I syphon the water with a small syphon hose left inside a net or one of the breeding cages to keep the fry out until I have taken out the amount of water I desire. For cleaning the excess garbage and food residue off the bottom... clear bottom also... I use a rubber bulb syringe sold for cleaning ears. basically a ball with a pointed end, thus giving you excellent control for working around the smaller fry. Some ppl use turkey basters but this is a lot smaller and easier to use. If I do suck out a fry or two with it, all I do is suck them back up and shoot them back in the tank.

HTH Fred