Fish Food - Color Enhancers

RD.

Not exactly a DIY topic, but close enough, eh? ;)

The OB Peacock in the following pics was fed New Life Spectrum with Naturose Astaxanthin for approx 8 weeks. I no longer own this freak of nature, but I thought I'd share the before & after results. :)

ob5.jpg

ob6.jpg

Pretty impressive for only 8 weeks of this mix. B)

Here's some additional information, and some before & after photos of an Auloncara rubescens "Ruby Red", supplemented with NatuRose® Astaxanthin. No NLS pellets, just astaxanthin. (same pic shown below)

http://www.cyanotech.com/pdfs/axbul54.pdf

Here's another good read.

http://www.lib.noaa.gov/japan/aquaculture/...eport28/Ako.pdf

Here's a before & after pic of a male Rubenscens fed a generous amount of Naturose astaxanthin.

peacocks1.jpg

If you're looking for a 'natural' way to enhance your fishes color, especially orange/red, IMO New Life Spectrum pellets lightly dusted in Naturose Astaxanthin is the best combo out there.

Val - I have a surplus of Naturose on hand, that was sent to me directly from the company in Hawaii that makes it. (Cyanotech) Kensfish charges $7.00 US plus shipping. (for 2 ounces)

I'll send you some for free. Just drop me a line with your addy. ;)

BTW - here's how I mix mine. (you don't need much!)

I take a small amount of the Naturose & distribute it in a plastic baggie.

Then I add approx 2 months worth of New Life Spectrum pellets & do a kind of shake & bake until the Naturose is mixed fairly evenly with the pellets.

You really only need a small pinch of astaxanthin for a 'sandwich' size baggie full of pellets. Approx 1/4 teaspoon for an entire 10.6 oz container of NLS pellets. (don't get carried away, this stuff goes a long ways!) The astaxanthin powder adheres rather well to the surface of the pellets.

I then store my main containers of NLS food & the Naturose in a cool dry location. (cold storage such as a freezer) If stored this way in a freezer type baggie (to keep excess moisture out) both the pellets & the Naturose should last for approx 1 year without losing any of their nutritional contents.

Rahim - I just sent you an email. ;)

Just like any other type of supplement (including vitamins), yes, you can use too much Naturose. I'm not sure what would happen if one fed an extreme amount as I don't believe any long term studies on over supplementation have been conducted with Naturose? It might just be expelled via their feces, or it might build up in their organs?

BTW - if you go to page 7 of the thread below, and read Ben805's comments, and view his pics, you can see the results of what using a high amount of this supplement can do in as little as 1 week.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=39981

IMO he's using way too much, but nevertheless .......

I can't seem to get the PM deal to 'send' so here's my response to you, Albert.

Hey Albert, just send me your address (or the stores) and I'll send you down a sample. I'll even send some extra for Dennis. :) tell him to try it on any rubenscens he has. You don't need to mix in much, and the Naturose should be kept frozen as it expires in approx 6 months from now. (it's already 6 months old)

tc51 ... ditto to above.

Edited by RD.