punctured eye ball

Vallisneria

Well i think i'm going to have to remove her from the main tank. She is still eating and her eye doens't look any worse but i noticed that when she swims close to the filter intake she gets sucked in. She doesn't get stuck to the tube but you can tell she is getting weaker as it looked like she had a hard time swimming away. I jsut hope having to catch her doesn' t stress her out and make it worse.

I sure hope she doesn't die from this. I have become quite fond of her and just bought her a new male. :(

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the offer but i do have a Q tank.

I transfered her yesterday to a 10g. Catching her wasn't too bad as she didn't really try to swim away to quick. When i put her in the 10g she started swimming tilted, with her bad eye pointing up.

This morning she is in the top corner and not looking so good. She is barely swimming, more just floating in the same spot.

I added the pimafix and melafix, is there anything else i can do for her?

Well she looks a bit better then when i first added her to the Q tank. She is swimming a bit more then before. She isn't floating in the top corner anymore. She is still swimming a bit tilted, with her bad eye pointing up. She hasn't eaten since i added her to the tank(i think its been 3 days since shes eaten). She also seems to be having a bit of fin problems, her tail fin looks a bit tattered on the edge. Not sure what this is from as i dont' think she had it in the main tank(or i jsut didn't notice since i was worried about the eye).

So she doesnt' look good but she does look better then a few days ago. Hopefully she pulls through. If she does i'm not sure what i'm going to do with her though as i wouldnt' want to add her back to the main tank if she looses her eye.

WEll i'm off to go check on her and do a water change on her tank. maybe that will perk her up. I'll let you know if anything changes

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought i would update this

She is doing great. Her eye looks like its completely healed and back to normal. Hard to imagine her eye can heal up perfectly after being ripped open(i dont' think it works that way for human eyes :) ).

So since she looks like sh is back in good health i'm thinking about reintroducing her to the 90g, probably by the end of the week or so. Lets hope this doesn't happen again

Hi Val,

Glad to hear everything went well. I joined AlbertaAquatica after this thread got started so I missed most of the posts first time around. When I saw your photos, I was amazed - I had no idea a fish could recover from an injury like that. Congratulations!

Cheers,

Stu