Value of a 50 gallon tank

punman

A nieghbour of mine had a son move out, leaving a 50 gallon tank. Neighbour wants to sell it and knowing I'm into fish, wants to know what he should ask. It has a top, make-shift light, heater, two AC 300s. Tank is in good condition. When I buy used, I never want to pay more than half of new price, and with fish stuff I often see it going for 1/4 to 1/3 of original price. I was thinking of telling him to try for $100. What do you think? (Maybe I can convince him to advertise it here).

When you say $1 per gallon, is that tank only - not extras?

Tank has water and the couple of fish in it seem fine. Let's not account for any value of fish, just the tank, filters, heater, and light.

Edited by punman

...if the tank is in excellent shape, if it's scratched and you see that the silicone is worn away at the corners, I'd offer less. If you want the fish, then it depends on their vallue, are they commets , angels or frontosas? Once you go into used equipment tip toe. It may not last the week or it may last for years, hence not much value. So when I say 20 for the extras I'm including the fish.

It would depend on the shape the tank is in, if the filters are in good shape (not noisy), and how many as well as what type of fish they are.