I need an expert ID

FishManTy

Got this guy a while back from one of the auctions. Got 3 of them in a group. I can't for the life of my remember the exact name. I keep think its a "multichromis" but that isn't bringing me much luck. Speaking of luck, it appears I have 3 males now, and 1 possible female. :cuss:

Here is the pic: (this is him normally... when he gets excited, fed, or just after I finish rearranging my deco, he goes a almost white, with the bars u can sorta see being very visible. His tail still says that nice yellow)

post-6-1102318039

Edited by FishManTy

Why don't you try matching him with some of the pics in the profile of the following sites:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/

http://www.malawimayhem.com/profiles.php?filter=AB

It looks like a Pseudotropheus spec. Elongatus complex....

Hard to tell exactly from the pics.

Best to try to find a match by looking through them all!!!!

Good Luck

Actually... crap. Looking back at your link Rahim... I'd say 2 males certainly look like him, judging by the amount and spacing of the blackbars. The one that I gave an image of, has a lot more bars and they are closer and narrower.... maybe I have 2 species mixed in there.

:cuss: I hate lending things to family. I discovered my Camera is at my brothers place... that picture is about a yr old. UGH!

Are we sure its a malawi?

Looking back at the tails... I'd say it can't be the Labidochromis spec."Red Top Mbamba Bay". These ones have tips, while mine is fully yellow

Can't be this

Edited by FishManTy

Tough call without better pics. There are a number of elongatus species that look similar to your fish. Ps. mpanga, Ps. longior "Mbamba Bay Island, Ps. taiwan, Ps. linganjala, Ps. "yellow tail' Zimbawe Rock, and Ps. "Masimbwe Island" all have similar markings, and can all change their color & patterns somewhat when stressed or excited.

Personally I've always been partial to the Ps. mpanga, beautiful fish you have there Jods. B)

How big is this fish? Do the others look the same as this? Perhaps some close up pics would help.

I can't say that I've ever seen a P. mpanga that looked like that. Your fish seems washed out, and the shape of his head seems wrong. Might just be the pic, or the lighting, hard to say.

I got some good pics

Give me a second to load em!

Edit:

Here they are:

First 3 are of 1 male. Last one is the Possible Female, cause she never goes to the same color as the male, and she barely has visible yellow on the tail and bars on the chest.

mbambaMale2.jpg

mbambaMale3.jpg

mbambaMale1.jpg

mbambaFemale1.jpg

Edited by FishManTy