I'm out! What to do with all these tanks.

wandj

Hello everyone. I have not been around this site for a few months. I lost my job last summer, had to work far away last fall, and am working in a very low-paying job while I prepare to go to school (far away again) this fall. So I don't have the funds to support my hobby anymore and have had to quit. I won't have any time or energy for it anymore either.

And once I'm out, I don't think I'm going to ever get back in. (Various reasons)

So, what am I going to do with all my tanks? Most of my equip is pretty much worthless due to the fact I had such hard water and it really gums stuff up. I do not have the time to putty around trying to clean it so I think most of it will be tossed.

I have drilled tanks in my fish room. They have holes near the top and have 3/4" bulkheads. Most of them do anyway because half way through the drilling, the guy doing them changed his bit and somehow some of my tanks are a different sized hole. Anyway, another factor is that I live 1.5 hours away from Edmonton and 3 hours from Calgary. I am not willing to drive in anymore to unload any stuff. I have just emptied the tanks of water and they are just sitting there....and that is how they'll stay until I either throw them in the garbage or someone is willing to drive out here and get them. Should I attach a price tag? What is the going rate? What would you do if you were me?

PS Due to my studying, I don't have much time to tackle this issue all at once.

Thanks all.

You should post this stuff in the equipment section of the forum, as it still has some value.

Hi Jackie, so sorry to hear about your current situation, but please don't simply start trashing your equipment & tanks. I'm sure that there would be people who would pay to take them off of your hands.

CLR etc would most likely remove 99% of the deposits on your equipment and tanks.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

CLR etc would most likely remove 99% of the deposits on your equipment and tanks.

Most, but unfortunately I received one free "55g koi tank" - you can imagine the shape it was in. Anyway, CLR and a razor doesn't seem to be able to remove the deposits...almost like it is "in" the glass now.

Best of luck Jackie, and try to post and see if you can sell some of it off at the least. :)

Most, but unfortunately I received one free "55g koi tank" - you can imagine the shape it was in. Anyway, CLR and a razor doesn't seem to be able to remove the deposits...almost like it is "in" the glass now.

Would be great to have a jug of that neutralizer now and try it out....Wonder if that stuff would take it off.

You could post them on the equipment buy sell and see if you can get a group buy some one with a truck or van could come an pick every thing up. Or just hold on to every thimg till you are back to work after school.

Brad

Hello.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am well aware of all the chemicals out there that are designed to tackle hard water deposits, aka Calcium and Magnesium. For all that do not have hard well water, imagine a severe case of "salt creep" that won't come off. CLR is the best chemical out there and that stuff that Python sells is very good, but all these chemicals are VERY expensive. I think CLR is about $10 a bottle and if you try to cheat by diluting it, it just doesn't work as well. If I were to try to clean everything I had, it would take over $1000 worth of chemicals....easy. AND, this is stubborn stuff. These minerals (elements actually) are basically limestone. So imagine rocks growing on all your stuff. I have had to throw away so many sponge filters because they turned into rocks! (Cannot just "rinse" the minerals away and the sponges actually became blocks of stone)

Anyway, it was a constant battle trying to keep my sponge filters from turning into rocks and my air stones were constantly plugging up. I actually lost a tank of fish while I was gone working because I wasn't home to keep up the battle. A tank of fish suffocated because the airstone plugged up of mineral.

I think it's best to wait till the whether is nice and I can take the tanks out slowly and try to clean them outside. I have not yet opened my email, so if someone has emailed me, I will get back to them soon.

Thanks.

Edited by wandj

You could post some pics of you equipment I am sure that there are some people here who could use some tanks for fry grow out or something.

Giving away a bad tank that some one could use is better then tossing it in the garbage.

Brad

I'd still would like to know where you are, I'm up for a road trip and a challenge ! Sue

Me as well

I'm in Drayton Valley.

I had some emails and am not sure yet what is going to happen. So I guess the issue is pending.

(It takes a lot of patience, but mineral can be scraped off if the tanks are filled with RO plus some acid (vinegar) and sit awhile.)

Anyway, I'm not sure yet what I'm gonna do.

I'd still would like to know where you are, I'm up for a road trip and a challenge ! Sue

Don’t for get me. I am even 2 hours from Edmonton :D Probably the wrong way though :wacko:

Brad

opps to slow *edit*

Edited by snaggle